2015 POTD Thread Archive

Is that bar on the front of your stand intended as a "foot rest" to stabilize or some other purpose?
Thanks for posting.
You are correct, it is both a foot rest and can be used to help stabilize it. I also need to install a handle so that I can tilt it back on the wheels to move it when not in use.

Mark, What size and kind of tank is that you used, It looks to be a good size. With that setup how long did it stay hot, looks like it should be a nice slow cool down when needed.
I have been looking for an old stainless keg to make one out of, Have found that my little propane tank one is just to small for some stuff.

Ken,
it is a gas grill propane tank 20lbs. It has a 3/4" burner tube, .030 orifice, and runs nice from 5-7.5lbs. I can take it down close to 1lbs with closing the choke maintaining around 600 deg F I shut it down at least 20 min ago just checked at dim light it was still glowing dull red. the face of the brick floor exceeded the 1000 deg f no touch thermometer. the front of the brick (most likely the coolest place) was 972. I did have the front open for around ten min. before I read this post and closed it just checked it 10 min. from last reading and got 1024 on the brick face the front is about the same. still a small glow from under the brick.
There is 3 layers of cera blanket and a coat of monolithic refractory all the way around. seems like it would take at least an hour to come down from full heat to room temp. backing the burner down could take that even longer. next time I fire it I will close it up and see how long it takes to cool down.
Mark

Finally got around to making a morse taper and ? taper so I could use this keyless chuck I acquired in a junk box ....I's a tad shy of 1/2" but it's functions well

bite 006.JPG

mark, For some reason that looks a lot bigger than a standard 20lb tank, That why I was asking, It may just be the way the pics were taken. I know mine does not have all the cera blankets, and is a home make mix of fireclay, cement and other stuff, I have melted 10lb of brass in it and still been able to touch the outside. My burner is no where near as nice as yours, Not even sure what size the hole is in it, First one was to big, so I make a new part and used a smaller bit, At the time I had no way to measure it as my calipers had broken. Need to use that nice drawing and make me a new one. But I want a bigger tank so I can do some bigger pieces of Alum, And I want to do some more brass and make me a cannon, and a bunch of parts for some steam engines. What I want and what happens are prob two diff things though.

kvt,
Is that stand bolted to the wall or are them suction cups on the mounting plate? vertical just didn't work for you?:congratulate: Love it when the photos just do what they want.

kvt,
I forgot to say how nice that stand looks. that is kind of what the forge will go on.
Mark

kvt,
just checked the forge was still at 84 deg. the out side was 68. checked it some time after my earlier post and it was still 500 & something so it will take more than an hour to cool down the room temp.
My burner is of David Hammers design it is set up to use mig welding contact tips for the orifice. this make it easy to rough tune. It is designed to get a 350 cubic inch forge up to welding temp, provided the the forge has good insulation. My forge is around 300 CI. and I am a bit scared to turn the regulator passed 8 lbs. I added a choke to it this morning that was not on it in the pics. pretty happy with the way the forge turned out.
Mark

It was standing up when I took them, Then then things laid down when I posted them. My foundry only has a 8" round by 10" tall area, It got hot enough to melt the side out of a cast iron pot that I was using to melt some scrap in. After using one night, The thing was still above room temp the next morning, So it gets hot just does not have a large enough area for me. But I think I may want to ry and make one of those burners if I ever get a beer keg to make a new one out of..

Back