2016 POTD Thread Archive

at this point it is semi-finish machined, the two main working surfaces have been ground square, and other faces are also square and parallel except the two side faces, although ground they are not square or parallel any longer, when I clamped the long working surface to a Suburban cube, the side lifted off the plate, that is due to all the milling induced relieving of stress. it will get heat treated for stress relieving, and then reground square and parallel on all 6 faces, and the 7th angled face will be ground and some engraving done in a machined out pocket. something great about cnc, is all you have to do is dream it up, watching this thing take shape from the drawings and render that I had done was like a dream, and in the end, its like, there it is. after about 8hrs of machining, and another couple of drawing in CAD and doing all the CAM. it would have been more like 16hrs machine time, but I switched up the machining strategy when I flipped to the other side, using a .485 end mill, increasing my feeds double. anyway here it is, I think it turned out great, I couldn't be happier. after the finish machining I will hand scrape 4 of the faces to be square and parallel to within a couple tenths. my grinder can probably get it that true but it sure don't have the appeal of a nicely scraped surface. I ran a chamfer mill on all the interior edges, the exterior edges will probably remain as filed, and I may relieve the bottom corner at the hori/vert interface
squarefinished.jpg

Got a good start on a spider for the lathe. Basic dimensions are 3" long, 2.75" OD and ID to fit the spindle. Next up are the screw holes and magnet hole for the RPM display.

View attachment 125640

View attachment 125641

Big pile of chips.

View attachment 125639

Nice looking spider body. Your gonna love your Tachometer. You might have the same option to mount your pick up probe bracket off the top end cover stud. Hint, its easier to drill the magnet bore AFTER you build your bracket and mount the probe. I did mine in reverse order and took two attempts at the bracket as the bend allowances (3 of them) got me. Unless you build a super trick adjustable sliding thing-a-ma-jig bracket. Looking good sir, and the lathe stand looks fantastic too.

Last edited by a moderator:
some one boogered up the sealing flange on this tank a while ago while out on rental..since it is a pressurized tank this was a problem....sawed off the flang part that left me with a nice straight tube....I then modified this aircraft plug that I had into a tank bung and cap...machined the neck to a snug fit.made a disk for the cap to seal with an o-ring....red locktite will do the rest

IMG_8867.JPG IMG_8868.JPG IMG_8869.JPG IMG_8870.JPG

Thanks Paco. And thanks also for posting your setup on the tach, that helped me design mine. I don't have as much room as you do so my bracket will be different. I bored out the cover today, that was fun. It was the first time using the auto feed on this mill, neat feature that my old bench top mill didn't have.

Back