2016 POTD Thread Archive

I finished up this little guy:

DSCN0497_zpszt9j7yro.jpg

It's a little bocote and O1 smoother, 55 degree bedding angle, 6" sole, 1 1/2" wide iron. One or two very minor cosmetic oopsies due to a tool failure and a "learning experience" with my new milling machine. Did you know that really locking down the mill head is important for a good fly cutting finish? Yeah, I didn't. Now I know, and as G.I. Joe would tell me, knowing is half the battle!

DSCN0497_zpszt9j7yro.jpg

DSCN0497_zpszt9j7yro.jpg

DSCN0497_zpszt9j7yro.jpg

DSCN0497_zpszt9j7yro.jpg

DSCN0497_zpszt9j7yro.jpg

That's just plain gorgeous. The horizontal row of machine screws is reminiscent of planes from the 40's and 50's, like those built by Howard Hughes. Plainly no ordinary plane. Upon close inspection it is plain to see this is a work of the heart. Plainly speaking, I dig it. Nicely done Ripthorn. Mike

Cut a block of aluminum from 5/8" stock 3.5"X3.5" to make a replacement bottom for the coolant pump on my tool grinding machine. The pump manufacturer has a strange name and do not list pumps on their website. The existing bottom encloses the impeller and is made of plastic. It has some cracks that I think will limit its ability to pump coolant. I am at least the third owner of the grinder and am looking forward to sharpening end mills. It will sharpen twist drills also but uses the bit grinding tool sold by Stanley Tools that mounts beside a bench grinder.
Also modified 2 Tee nuts to fit on my rotary table. The bases were to thick so used the round Enco column mill to get them thinned down. Not much of a project except the 4" swivel vise had to be installed on the mill table with the alignment problem of getting the vise jaws parallel with the mill table travel in the X direction. Someday I will put one of the alignment tools described here.
Have a good day!
Ray

I'm glad to have an update for this thread!

I put up some wooden shelves up behind the surface grinder to put a Craftsman machinist box for surface grinder accessories :
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459049268.244104.jpg

I gave myself some machine-cleaning therapy by finally taking some time scrubbing and stoning the Lassy Tapper until I saw the original machined swirl-marks on the table:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459049409.270017.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459049391.918226.jpg

So glad to be getting back to things!

Bernie ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459049372.600083.jpg

That's just plain gorgeous. The horizontal row of machine screws is reminiscent of planes from the 40's and 50's, like those built by Howard Hughes. Plainly no ordinary plane. Upon close inspection it is plain to see this is a work of the heart. Plainly speaking, I dig it. Nicely done Ripthorn. Mike
You're on a different plane of existence; kudos to you!

I finished up this little guy:

It's a little bocote and O1 smoother, 55 degree bedding angle, 6" sole, 1 1/2" wide iron. One or two very minor cosmetic oopsies due to a tool failure and a "learning experience" with my new milling machine. Did you know that really locking down the mill head is important for a good fly cutting finish? Yeah, I didn't. Now I know, and as G.I. Joe would tell me, knowing is half the battle!

Rip

This is beautiful!! I love it. My cousin and I want to make some of these together. Do you have plans for it it something like that?

Bernie

Back