2016 POTD Thread Archive

Make your own bar.... lots of different ways, if you have a mill it's much easier. I've made both internal and external indexable threading tools on the mill, they used carbide lay down threading inserts. I also made indexable tool holders for the tool post. You could easily make a beefy indexable boring bar....

Last edited:
that looks like a pretty hefty gear blank, what are the specs on diameter and width? (im not a gear guy)

Not really the project of the day, more like the project of the last 4 days. I needed to get my CNC software compatible with Win7 - 10 so I started from scratch on Friday and did a complete rewrite in .net, while simultaneously learning a new programming language. Nothing like a project to learn something new. Four days of marathon programming and about 10,000 lines of code later it's ready to put on a machine and see what doesn't work. It works on the desktop, but I expect a few days of debug on the machine. I'm going to test it on Alloy's Shizouka AN6 that is sitting in my shop and has Win8 installed.

upload_2016-3-29_11-32-45.png

Back