2016 POTD Thread Archive

Hi Franko,
I had to respond once I stopped laughing. My first ever "You suck"! I suppose my wife should get some credit for all the support over the years as machines have a way of following me home.
Take care brother and thanks for the compliment.

finished turning and balancing the treadmill motor. Flywheel had a crazy amount of wobble perpendicular to the motor shaft. Trued it up as best as i could, but chickened out of taking it completely flat as it's not very thick in the middle of the flywheel.IMG_4834.JPG

thought I'd post some pics of the balancing process on my jig. For a basic set up, it works surprisingly well. First marks - lots of roll back (where it goes past the mark, stops and rotates back), all bar 1 mark at the same point. Drill divot, repeat. Most marks still there, so drill deeper
IMG_4835.JPG

This is 3 or 4 goes in, still centering on that area. Not that surprising as it was the original balance point going by the existing divot AND this was the side that had the least material cut off the face.
IMG_4836.JPG

final mark up. As I went along, each iteration needed more and more rotations and marks. Then when you end up with no major clusters (there are still a few with more marks though) and marks all the way round the wheel, I call it good. Can't test it yet as I have to build the control box and wire everything together.
IMG_4837.JPG

all done!
IMG_4838.JPG

made an adapter plate out of a piece of alu scrap from my pile
IMG_4840.JPG

I was pretty pleased by the milling - came out ok considering it's a drill press. Still desperately want a mill though.
IMG_4841.JPG

mounting bolts drilled and attached to the motor
IMG_4842.JPG

next up, electronics!

Back