2016 POTD Thread Archive

Jeeper, I just got a kennametal dnmg turning tool, I was AMAZED when I took a .020 doc and the chips just curled right over and down into the chip pan, I've never seen that except on aboms videos. It was perfect, keep in mind that's a negative insert. My positive cutters all fling chips upwards and onto my arms and in my hair....

Today in the shop I broke my thickness planer.
IMG_2189.jpg

Not sure what started the chain of events, pun intended, but in the end the shaft out of the gear box split at the keyway, the sprocket on it broke, the chain snapped and the shaft of the recently replaced feed roller broke. So I have to say I broke it real good, and for no apparent reason. First check on line was $500 american for parts and shipping. OUCH.

Greg

Today in the shop I broke my thickness planer.

Not sure what started the chain of events, pun intended, but in the end the shaft out of the gear box split at the keyway, the sprocket on it broke, the chain snapped and the shaft of the recently replaced feed roller broke. So I have to say I broke it real good, and for no apparent reason. First check on line was $500 american for parts and shipping. OUCH.

Greg

dayum, you don't go half measures on breaking stuff do you? What happened, hit a knot or something mechanical?

Back