2016 POTD Thread Archive

Go tired of looking for a wrench to loosen / tighten the QCTP hold down nut so I made a replacement that I would not have to look for. I can't take credit for the design or the idea ...... I got the idea from another post. All turned down and made shiny.
upload_2016-5-19_20-22-41.png

Here is the metric 14 x 1.5 thread all done.
upload_2016-5-19_20-26-29.png

Part mounted in my cheapo angle vise to get the drill angle perpendicular. Then drilled and tapped.
upload_2016-5-19_20-28-33.png

Mounted on the QCTP and ready to use. The handle is a piece of rebar that I turned down when I first got the lathe. I think I will add a ball to the end but will have to make a ball turner first.
upload_2016-5-19_20-30-41.png

Also mounted the hydraulic tilt cylinder from the Bobcat so I could bore the eye. It was way out of round. First time doing this sort of thing. Took a while to get it all set up straight and true but a great learning experience. Had an issue when I started boring. Seemed to start OK then things went sideways. There was a horrible banging sound and shudder. I shut the mill down and found that the boring bar had spun in the head. I was taking a pretty heavy cut because I read somewhere that the cut should not be intermittent and in order to get a light touch on the large dimension, I needed to take a heavy cut on the small one. Tried it again and the same thing. So I went to a light intermittent cut and then things went smoothly.
upload_2016-5-19_20-40-50.png

and the finished cut. A nice round hole that will get a new bushing made for it.
upload_2016-5-19_20-42-20.png

:headache:It looks like you have yourself a good challenging puzzle to work on, Jon. I'll be looking forward to seeing how you repair it.

Today in the shop I broke my thickness planer.
<snip>
First check on line was $500 american for parts and shipping. OUCH.

Greg

Ouch, indeed! Who'd 'a thunk wood was stronger than metal :)

Today in the shop I broke my thickness planer.
IMG_2189.jpg

Not sure what started the chain of events, pun intended, but in the end the shaft out of the gear box split at the keyway, the sprocket on it broke, the chain snapped and the shaft of the recently replaced feed roller broke. So I have to say I broke it real good, and for no apparent reason. First check on line was $500 american for parts and shipping. OUCH.

Greg
Some serious torque going on there, I can understand the sprocket breaking at the key, but multiple failures is nuts. At least your a capable machinist,welder,mechanic and carpenter (when your not breaking s**t ) :cry:.

Seriously, if anyone can repair that correctly, it would be you.

Go tired of looking for a wrench to loosen / tighten the QCTP hold down nut so I made a replacement that I would not have to look for. I can't take credit for the design or the idea ...... I got the idea from another post. All turned down and made shiny.
View attachment 129326

Here is the metric 14 x 1.5 thread all done.
View attachment 129327

Part mounted in my cheapo angle vise to get the drill angle perpendicular. Then drilled and tapped.
View attachment 129328

Mounted on the QCTP and ready to use. The handle is a piece of rebar that I turned down when I first got the lathe. I think I will add a ball to the end but will have to make a ball turner first.
View attachment 129329

Also mounted the hydraulic tilt cylinder from the Bobcat so I could bore the eye. It was way out of round. First time doing this sort of thing. Took a while to get it all set up straight and true but a great learning experience. Had an issue when I started boring. Seemed to start OK then things went sideways. There was a horrible banging sound and shudder. I shut the mill down and found that the boring bar had spun in the head. I was taking a pretty heavy cut because I read somewhere that the cut should not be intermittent and in order to get a light touch on the large dimension, I needed to take a heavy cut on the small one. Tried it again and the same thing. So I went to a light intermittent cut and then things went smoothly.
View attachment 129332

and the finished cut. A nice round hole that will get a new bushing made for it.
View attachment 129333

I like the QCTP custom nut, great idea. I also dig your creative set up on the mill.

Actually hadn't thought about repairing the parts. HUM The feed roller shaft snapped right beside the rubber coating, so welding is probably out of the question and of coarse thats the only really expensive part, $237. Worst is I replaced them a year or two ago, so the rubber is still like new. The smaller shaft would be easy enough to make, guess thats why its only $17. Haven't measured it but the chain looks like a metric pitch. Did some surfing last night and found one supplier that will ship the parts for $310 but then there's the exchange and brokerage and tax. The first place I checked was the most expensive at $500. Up here Makita wants $436 CDN for the roller.
Think your right John, the chain probably broke, then wedged pulling the roller shaft till it snapped then the drive finally let go.
To top it off the 10 tooth chain sprocket was part of a low feed rate kit I bought when I purchased the planer, its no longer available, only a 15 tooth one which I still have.
Thanks

Greg

Just get a cnc guy to custom make the 10t sprocket.... I'm a cnc guy....
Thanks, I cut #60 roller chain sprockets on the CNC plasma table but this one might be pushing it. I may make one on the mill, haven't tried roller chain sprockets yet.
Just ordered the parts from Makita Canada, $456 CDN, could have saved a little out of the states but the brokerage fees would have equaled it out. He's checking if the sprocket kit I originally bought is available.

Greg

Back