2016 POTD Thread Archive

For larger tools, your rig is perfect! The lid will be coming off of my cart soon. The only reason I like the lid on is to keep all of the abrasive grinding dust and plasma cutting dust out of my tools. Looking at your cart drives home the fact that I am in need of tooling.

Looking at your cart drives home the fact that I am in need of tooling.
The big stuff is easier, to find cheap on E-bay. I have a lot more NMBT 50 holders, then I do R-8 for the RF 40 mill behind the cart. Most of my cutting stuff is 1" and larger (most is 2"). The tool box behind the cart is mostly cutting tools.

Got the thread cut eventually, took two afternoons. All cut by hand not power.
39x4mm-thread.jpg
Received the new 80T gear wheel so I could cut the 39x4mm thread but half way through it slipped of the mounting shaft and I lost the thread registration. I remember when I last cut a 39x4 I used a bit of flat iron to hold it in place. Cant think why I didnt this time.
change-gears.jpg
as you can see with number 1 because of the boss I cant fit the retaining clip, number 2 is the new plastic wheel.

Did a test fit to check the thread and it worked, but, when I removed the chuck and the shaft it wouldnt screw on all the way, there was a rough bit on the thread back at the bottom of the hole.
Back onto the lathe and re set up. What a job this was to try and get the thread registration back to continue cutting it.. Eventually did it and finished it.
A very nice fit.
That a lot of weight hanging out there.
test-fit.jpg
Parted off the unwanted bit, not easily but not too bad. Thats a long bit of parting tool hanging out.
parted-off.jpg
Quick face on the end and a skim from the outside
finished-cylinder.jpg
Now to bore and taper bore for the collets and thread the nose for the nut.
As a quick test I cant see any run out. Fingers crossed.

Nice job, getting that thread completed.

I recommend that you remove and replace it a few times and run a DTI on the OD to confirm how accurately the mounting repeats.

I'd want to know that it repeats within acceptable accuracy before investing the rest of the work. YMMV

Got the thread cut eventually, took two afternoons. All cut by hand not power.
View attachment 132197
Received the new 80T gear wheel so I could cut the 39x4mm thread but half way through it slipped of the mounting shaft and I lost the thread registration. I remember when I last cut a 39x4 I used a bit of flat iron to hold it in place. Cant think why I didnt this time.
View attachment 132198
as you can see with number 1 because of the boss I cant fit the retaining clip, number 2 is the new plastic wheel.

Did a test fit to check the thread and it worked, but, when I removed the chuck and the shaft it wouldnt screw on all the way, there was a rough bit on the thread back at the bottom of the hole.
Back onto the lathe and re set up. What a job this was to try and get the thread registration back to continue cutting it.. Eventually did it and finished it.
A very nice fit.
That a lot of weight hanging out there.
View attachment 132201
Parted off the unwanted bit, not easily but not too bad. Thats a long bit of parting tool hanging out.
View attachment 132200
Quick face on the end and a skim from the outside
View attachment 132199
Now to bore and taper bore for the collets and thread the nose for the nut.
As a quick test I cant see any run out. Fingers crossed.

When I made my ER 40 chuck, I made sure to get a good fit on the register ( behind the threads ), this will insure it seats the same every time. I also turned the OD TO "clean up" while mounted on the spindle. After doing this, mine repeats every time.

Spent some time in the shop this afternoon and needed a " better way " to indicate a center marked piece in the 4 jaw for boring and threading. I ended up making a small tool for the intended pupose bu cutting a 60 deg. inc. angle on one end of a short length of 3/8" of drill rod , then turning it end for end in the ER 40 collett and using a center drill to form a small pocket. Then on another short length of the same material I created a matching pocket. The short piece is inserted into the drill chuck mounted in the tailstock. After applying a small dab of center grease, a 1/4" ball bearing is held in the two opposing pockets, the pointed end is inserted into the center drilled location on the part. the long rod is free to move on the ball bearing as the part is rotated . Indicating zero off of the rod until there is no movement on the dial.
ATTACH]132250[/ATTACH] 2016-07-10 14.58.02.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-07-10 14.47.40.jpg
    2016-07-10 14.47.40.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
The big stuff is easier, to find cheap on E-bay. I have a lot more NMBT 50 holders, then I do R-8 for the RF 40 mill behind the cart. Most of my cutting stuff is 1" and larger (most is 2"). The tool box behind the cart is mostly cutting tools.

I have been trolling fleabay and craigslist for tooling. The stuff around craigslist is priced stupid high. A couple of the craigslist ads are guys trying to sell grandpa's old toolbox of machinist tools.....they want a fortune.

I have been trolling fleabay and craigslist for tooling. The stuff around craigslist is priced stupid high. A couple of the craigslist ads are guys trying to sell grandpa's old toolbox of machinist tools.....they want a fortune.
Yea, I have obtained a few things from C List, but most want gold prices. E-bag, seems to go in cycles, For awhile it is great, then all the deals dry up, but thats where I got most of my goodies.

My brother needed to add adjustable handlebars to his bike. The old ones were 7/8" diameter, but the new ones are 1", so the mounting plate and clamps were too small. I threw together a new plate and set of clamps. Not all today, but finished today. It would have been done long before now if I had my CNC mill back up and running. Soon, I hope.
P7110055a.jpg

Back