2016 POTD Thread Archive

Mark that is great, I did something similar recently, but I made several of them that way I lined it up, and taped all the way around to set all of them then used those to center punch and drill out all the holes at once. Nice fit. I was afraid if it did it like you did I would somehow get them out of line a little bit, (I was working with 10-32 SHCS with little room on the outside)

Nice work on that. It is nice that if fits so many items but gives you good use out of a single item.

Mark,
I have a 6 inch diameter drop of cast iron I brought to do the same - intend to make 3 or 4 back plates out of it. Your back plate look quite thick compare to the original ones I already have which I was going to use as a template. Is there an advantage to making it thicker? What thickness would you recommend?

Mark,
I have a 6 inch diameter drop of cast iron I brought to do the same - intend to make 3 or 4 back plates out of it. Your back plate look quite thick compare to the original ones I already have which I was going to use as a template. Is there an advantage to making it thicker? What thickness would you recommend?
To fit the spindle of any of the machines the backplate is .875" thick for the threaded length and the register. Usually it would neck down in the rear to leave the actual plate part about .375 to .500" thick. I left mine the full thickness for the full diameter because if you look closely at the photo of it on the lathe, there is a scribed line on the outer edge. When it is on the 4" rotary table, that line is used to read the degree markings on the table. Otherwise, I would have necked it down on the back.

I see you are keeping up to your word with the MORE CHIPS. Nice work Mark!

When it is on the 4" rotary table, that line is used to read the degree markings on the table. Otherwise, I would have necked it down on the back.
That make sense- Thanks.

Beautiful work as usual, Mark! I'll be doing that soon with a couple of pieces from Ken. I hope they turn out as well as yours did! :D
Thanks for sharing with us.

IMG_3811.JPG Doing a bit of cleaning up at work- my boss had one of those write-on calendar/planner things left from 2014. Decided to cover part of my bench with it. Now I can write on it with grease pencil & make small messes and it will just wipe right up.

Those carts are good for storing machine tooling. I used the black one, took the lid off, and made an insert that holds 20 or 25 of my NMBT 50 tool holders. I also added racks on the sides like you did for clamps, and other tools. When my other projects slow down, I want to make an insert to hold more NMBT 50 tool holders on the bottom shelf.

I really like the idea of removing the lid.

Looks great, but for some of us old guys mounting tooling that low wouldn't be a viable option. Haven't tried the HF boxes yet, but plan on it once I start moving into the new space. The JD sounds like a fun project. Mike

I get that, I'm 42 and find that crouching down isn't as easy as it used to be. I'm really excited about the JD
0602160925.jpg

Did you make that metal/welding table yourself?

Yes, it's not as big as my old one that I built (4'×8') as shop space is at a premium.....this one is 30"x60" with a 3/8" top, some 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 1/4 angle and 1500# machine mount feet. Pretty quick little project. Sprayed (axial spray) it together and presto!
20160707_192840.jpg 20160707_192826.jpg 20160707_192757.jpg

Last edited:
Back