2016 POTD Thread Archive

I know it's very simple and rather crude but it fits great and I figured I'd post anyway.
While a T-nut is inherently simple, the way you approached it, lacking a mill, is downright brilliant! I don't see anything crude about it. You figured out how to use the available tools to complete the task. Welcome to the fun factory!

PS - If you want to see some absolutely fantastic parts that you'd normally expect to make on a mill, check out Savarin's telescope thread:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/80mm-long-focal-length-refractor.26212/page-4#post-409741

The T-nut is great, and the bolt idea works. I made some 1/4 inch thick steal plate into some nice round parts for leveling feet on my lathe. They started out as square chunks, Put them in the lathe drilled a hole through them all, Then bolted them together with a big bolt, and used that to hold them all together and allowed me to turn down the outside nice and smooth. When finished just remove the bolt and you had nice round 3 inch washers with a 1/2 inch hole in them.

Thank you John, thats very nice of you to say so.

Made a start on my pencil grinder holder.
Milled both sides down so it would fit into the qctp holder.
pg1.jpg
Curved the inside edge for looks by rotating it around a 6 mm bolt screwed into a chunk of steel held in the qctp.
The vice grips gave sufficient leverage
pg3.jpg

Clamped to the face plate to bore the hole for the grinder.
pg2.jpg
Just have to slit it and drill and tap for the clamping bolt.
Does this mean I now have to make a slitting saw arbor to do this part?????????????????

What? You don't already have one?
I'd 'a thunk you'd made one long ago, for all the clamp rings you've made for your 'scope ;~)

On to more things I have never done and know little about.

That's what learning is all about.......have fun with it!

If you need some guidance post back here.
This group knows a whack of stuff!

-brino

Thanks for the kind words regarding the T nut guys. I checked out Savarin's telescope build and learned a lot from it. It really shows how much you can do on a lathe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What? You don't already have one?
I'd 'a thunk you'd made one long ago, for all the clamp rings you've made for your 'scope ;~)
No, I cheated there and cut them from tube.:D
I made this specifically to grind out the taper bore of my collet chuck.

Back