2016 POTD Thread Archive

The planets were in alignment and the phase of the moon seamed correct so I thought it was time to try welding this outboard. No stack of dimes but good by my standards and money is sometimes over rated.
Roughed out a section to fill the missing piece and welded it in.
ywTYrUFvOqJY6SlqyPYPHtaxT1U107iY0cvqwfd8qu7X0caGumq32SIv_PLrGyOMZAgMT0M6snejYWuCQ4=w950-h1266-no.jpg

QFlWiN0pPY2FzzgGVJ139L9dooFVSIs8R4YF50MN8tFb491MuUPu5rPtkMI3uLFxF96sTQ641_h3CJmjr8=w950-h1266-no.jpg

Roughed the shape and tapered the fin to match the original with a 40 grit flap wheel, then polished it off with a 120 grit.

I1zouOTwXpqPxDfF6gOveCQz23ymQVhM8GORftKIoiEea_C32Ulxbn2Hvw4eTYzI2s9OcEN8oaZ3CoAZdI=w950-h1266-no.jpg

The bottom side needed a recess for the trim tab. I roughed it out with a router then contoured if with the flap wheel.

2JnLpjC8pF0fXDgBDMVLsrR8i0X9d74GPUENxtbbQGlZ-Iir7Jc3hjCNJD7mpMfGlL7bU-qi41IoGxYpOg=w950-h1266-no.jpg
He told me after that the chap at the marina told him he'd have a hard time finding someone to repair it. Guess he was looking at selling a new casting.
Probably should have charged more.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good repair Greg, the trim tab pocket turned out nice.

In addition to other problems, I've been trying to drill an .040 hole through a gear/shaft to pin the two together. I'd break a drill on every other piece, it seemed. On retrospect I suspected that it was because I couldn't hold both the drill and the pin solidly, the pin would move as the drill hit it.

I seem to do my best planning, whilst trying to go to sleep at night. Any way, last night I came up with a clamp that would clamp on the two diameters of my output shaft. The end of the shaft is .3125, the gear is .280 across the flats. I devised a clamp that would be .308 on one end and .275 on the other, with a slot to clear the washer, and another slot 90º from that , to allow flex in the clamp. When the shaft is pushed into the clamp, it spreads it .005, enough for my vise to clamp on it. It worked, although I've only done one hole, so I may break the drill on the next one.
Output shaft drill clamp.jpg

Bye the way, that vise is 1.925 wide, If you look closely you can see my initials and the date 1976. It was made from O1. During my apprenticeship, I designed it, made it, hardened and drew it to RC45, made the screw and nut (lapped them together), and jeweled it. It's one of the handiest tools I have. The jaw inserts (which you can't see) are RC60. Not that I would brag or anything. No. Not me.

Greg -

Beautiful repair!!! I noticed the other "wing" had some damage, too. Did you client ask you to fix that as well? If so, he'll be getting what amounts to a brand new casting! You do pretty work.

Thanks
Thought that pocket would be a pita, used a little trim router that has variable speed. I've never ran it slow before, can't think why you'd want to, maybe Bosch realized someone would use it on aluminum. The depth set on it is junk, hence that one divit.
He only wanted the catastrophic damage fixed. Said we could fix the other side after the next rock. lol

Nice looking gears! As for "This is a proof of concept project because I have no idea of what I am doing," I'd say you were pretty well organized (nice chart below the gears!) For most projects, I myself do about 50-75% planning ahead of time, then "wing it" the rest of the way, usually because the final form depends on what raw materials and reusable parts I have on hand. It's always fun, and nearly always works out well. Love it!

Long ago, I inherited a pipe vise from my father. I'd always wanted to mount it somewhere, but could never figure out a good spot. Last night I had an inspiration - mounted it to a piece of 4x4 lumber that I can hold in the Record vise on my workbench. Easy to mount, very sturdy, and because it's removable, it'll never be in the way! The 2x4 is attached to the bottom of the 4x4. It spans the two rods of the vise and can be swiveled to allow setting the pipe vise parallel or perpendicular to the bench.

I have several other tools (jigsaw, small arbor press, etc.) on 4x4s that I can secure in the bench vise as needed.
kHPIM4457.jpg kHPIM4460.jpg

First post on here. Made a quick and dirty "T nut" for my new QCTP. I don't have access to a mill so I rough cut with my porta-band then ground and filed to size. I then mounted the blank on the lathe using the bolt as a mandrel and turned a boss to the correct diameter to fit the compound. I know it's very simple and rather crude but it fits great and I figured I'd post anyway.
T nut 1.jpg

Back