2016 POTD Thread Archive

Not to worry, I'm not into production yet, still prototyping. Eventually I'll get it all sorted out.
Check out MSC for reamers. They offer six options for .1270 chucking reamers as well as a fairly complete selection by tenths of a thou starting at $13 with Enco customer login.

I am working on a wind up toy project.

This is a proof of concept project because I have no idea of what I am doing.

Reached a major milestone this morning when I finished cutting the last set of gears. (Assuming I don't mess up and need to re-cut some of the gears)

20160812_1004401_zps4jqhsudd.jpg

Now I need to figure out the rest of the project. On to more things I have never done and know little about.

Looks like a nice job on the gears. Hope the rest of the project goes as well for you.

Recently Paco designed and built a stand for the ENCO 3Ton arbor press. Several people asked for more details on the stand and due to that I offered to model the stand on cad and do a set of drawings. Paco's design used casters from the HF 44" tool box which are about 6" tall. I used a 5" caster from McMaster-Carr since they include cad files for many of their products. You can adjust the dimensions based on the casters you use. For me a good working height of 34" from the floor works but once again, adjust for your needs.

Here are some pictures of the actual stand. You can use these for reference when welding.
AP8.jpg AP9.jpg IMG_1928.JPG IMG_1929.JPG IMG_1930.JPG IMG_1931.JPG IMG_1932.JPG IMG_1933.JPG

Here are the drawings for the major components. All part numbers are McMaster-Carr for reference. Let me kn9ow if you need any other dimensions and I can revise the drawing. I didn't do a drawing for the caster mount plate as it will depend on the casters you use.

Attachments

• arbor press stand.PDF
    125 KB · Views: 25
  • handle.PDF
    46.5 KB · Views: 6
  • outrigger wldmt.PDF
    48 KB · Views: 6
  • leg.PDF
    44.4 KB · Views: 8
  • retainer tab.PDF
    45.2 KB · Views: 7
  • shelf plate.PDF
    44.6 KB · Views: 4
  • shelf support1.PDF
    45.8 KB · Views: 6
  • stiffener-long.PDF
    45.9 KB · Views: 6
  • shelf support2.PDF
    45.6 KB · Views: 7
  • stiffener-short.PDF
    43 KB · Views: 5
  • tee handle.PDF
    55.5 KB · Views: 8
  • top plate.PDF
    45.5 KB · Views: 11
Paco does some very nice work, and does some very creative work for doodling them on his welding table. Picture of the finished stand. Paco has also been helping me with some modifications to my new mill. Never had a power draw bar, and the new mill is just to tall for me to do it manually all the time. Paco has a Maxi Torque-Rite on one of his mills which he likes, so he helped me install one on mine the other day. I must say, their kits are machine specific and very complete. Everything fit perfectly on my mill and it was a dream to use. While he worked on installing the power draw bar, I worked on the electrical so we could fire up the mill. The mill is rated for both single phase and 3 phase, but the VFD is a bit of the size limit (derating for single phase) when running on single phase, so I added a DC choke (reactor). Also added an inline noise filter/reactor to the input voltage. System worked very smoothly, spinning it up in high gear it is almost hard to tell it is running. As we spend more time with the mill, we are really impressed with the fit and finish of the machine.

Paco's next project is a rolling base for the machine, I plan on putting a lower control center for the machine operation lower down on the machine and adding an automatic threading feature.

3 Ton Press with Stand.jpgElectrical Cabinet.jpg

Maxi Torque-Rite 1.jpg Maxi Torque-Rite 2.jpg

I was always thinking of getting a knee mill, but without Paco's assistance I would haven't been able to get one and learned so much from his experience in the process. Thank you Paco.

Here are the drawings for the major components. All part numbers are McMaster-Carr for reference. Let me kn9ow if you need any other dimensions and I can revise the drawing. I didn't do a drawing for the caster mount plate as it will depend on the casters you use.

Dan,
Very nice of you to spend the time to model this for anyone interested in building a similar stand. Folks like yourself makes this forum a very special place.
Thank you sir!

Paco does some very nice work, and does some very creative work for doodling them on his welding table. Picture of the finished stand. Paco has also been helping me with some modifications to my new mill. Never had a power draw bar, and the new mill is just to tall for me to do it manually all the time. Paco has a Maxi Torque-Rite on one of his mills which he likes, so he helped me install one on mine the other day. I must say, their kits are machine specific and very complete. Everything fit perfectly on my mill and it was a dream to use. While he worked on installing the power draw bar, I worked on the electrical so we could fire up the mill. The mill is rated for both single phase and 3 phase, but the VFD is a bit of the size limit (derating for single phase) when running on single phase, so I added a DC choke (reactor). Also added an inline noise filter/reactor to the input voltage. System worked very smoothly, spinning it up in high gear it is almost hard to tell it is running. As we spend more time with the mill, we are really impressed with the fit and finish of the machine.

Paco's next project is a rolling base for the machine, I plan on putting a lower control center for the machine operation lower down on the machine and adding an automatic threading feature.

View attachment 134000View attachment 134001

View attachment 134002 View attachment 134003

I was always thinking of getting a knee mill, but without Paco's assistance I would haven't been able to get one and learned so much from his experience in the process. Thank you Paco.

Mark, its been a pleasure working along side of you. You have been a great source of inspiration for me and so many on this forum. As for your new mill, well its simply a bad A$$ machine! Unbelievably quiet and smooth with a beauty of its own. Very impressive quality overall and the Torque-Right is a perfect compliment. Looking forward to seeing your custom control modifications in the near future.

Back