2016 POTD Thread Archive

Looking good, John. One of my first street bikes was a XS650D. Can't quite remember what year. Having an uncle in Dallas with 2 dealerships had its advantages. Lots of gifts, and everything at cost. I think in '77 I gave him whatever he allowed someone on trade-in for it. Of course, everyone in the family had to ride a Yamaha, and after I traded in my brand new Virago (had the first one in town) in on a Sportster he wasn't too happy with me, but oh well. He was a Triumph dealer before he got the Yamaha stores, so he couldn't say much, except I took advantage of a dealer cost purchase. I got more in trade than I paid for it. The only other one here was not on the road, it was at the local Yamaha dealer, who just happened to be part of my married extended family. It took them a little over a month to sell theirs IIRC. The day my uncle got the crate, I drove to Carrollton and picked it up.:)

Well, I finally finished up one of those little projects that's been on my "to-do" list for about five years now. When I bought my lathe it came with a Rapid brand 3-position tool post. Well, the hardware for one of the tool holder positions was missing and I always figured that someday I'd make the needed hardware. So, today I finished the machining which actually took me several days (I'm slow and losing brain cells fast !). Probably the most challenging things were getting the cams on top of the shaft machined and then getting the eccentric on the shaft in the proper orientation with the cams. Was quite a stress on my little mind ! I think I earned a beer. Now for my first attempt at heat treating.

Ted

100_2704.JPG 100_2701.JPG

That is awesome. Thank you for posting. Could you possibly take a close-up of how you have the cutter ground??
Sorry for the delay. Hope the pics tell the story. I do not have any back rake angle. And that is my way in my shop. VERY rarely do I grind on the top of a tool bit. Yes, it’s not the best cutting geometry and also the books say different. But it makes life so much easier when I re-sharpen, re-align…etc. Probably takes a little more HP and maybe not as good a finish, but I can live happily with all of that. And the brown stuff you see on the chuck is not rust, it’s cosmoline from about 20 years ago. I do take care of my toys. I had rust problems in my old shop location but not anymore. Strangle how moving just a few miles can change the ambient conditions that much? Actual time that it took to cut the ball was about 30 secs...Dave
ball.jpg ball1.jpg ball2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow great job talvare, did you test it yet?

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I did try it and it seems to work fine. I didn't want to do the heat treating before trying it in case I had to make some changes.

Ted

Two POTD today! One intentional, the other not so much . . .

First the unintentional. Was working on the intentional project on my Clausing lathe when I heard a “thump, thump” noise under the head stock cover. Lathe was shut down and the chuck moved back/forth, nothing looked out of kilter. Stepped to the side and jogged the lathe on, what’s this, looks like one of the drive belts is fragmenting! Shut the lathe off and retrieved the remnants; not used to seeing Gates belts with fur on them . . . Sorry to report, the mouse who made a nest in the head stock of my lathe didn’t make it. Next hour was spent pulling out about 2 softball sized wads of fiberglass insulation and a couple of pinkies. Lessons learned, might want to put some Decon in the base of the lathe.

On to the intentional project. I flipped the quill lock on my Jet mill to let it return to the up position, and as luck would have it, the plastic handle hit the arm on the DRO and snapped in two. After gluing it together for the third time, figured it was time for a new knob. I did the work on my Clausing lathe instead of my Grizzly G0709 for a number of reasons. First, this project was being made from aluminum and would require flipping the part to work both ends. Both lathes have collets, but the Clausing is generally set up with a 5C collet chuck while a 3-jaw is left on the Grizzly. The collets won’t mark up the work. Second, the project was going to require threading an internal blind hole. The Clausing goes down to 28 RPM while the Grizzly’s slowest speed is 70 RPM. Sure like the increased reaction time for internal threading. Third, both lathes can thread 12 tpi, but on the Grizzly I’d have to pull the end cover and rearrange the quadrant gears. No such problem on the Clausing.

OD of the lever is 0.490”, cool, probably ½” x 13. Nope, ½” x 12 tpi. Don’t have a tap for that so it’ll have to be single-point threaded. Started with a 1” aluminum round. Measured the major diameter of the thread (0.490”) and the distance from the major diameter to the opposite side minor diameter in a number of places. The difference doubled and subtracted from the major diameter should get me close to the tap drill size (used a 25/64”).

Faced and tap drilled the center hole. Original knob was threaded 1” deep, but I went 1 3/8” deep with the tap drill for some clearance at the end of threading. Used a 2” travel dial indicator to give me my Z-axis position while boring a generous relief shoulder at the bottom of the hole. Should have needed about 0.050” per side to clear the thread, but went an extra 0.040” in case the boring bar was flexing.

Ground the threading tool from 3/8” HSS. I bottomed out the boring bar into the hole and marked the position on the tool. Should have room for 16 threads (1 3/8” deep at 12 tpi), but only went 14 threads deep. I probably sounded like an idiot counting out loud “1, 2, 3, 4, etc.” as the chuck rotated during each pass, but the pucker factor is at a max for me when threading an internal blind hole. Checked the fit with the quill lever off the mill and stopped when it fit well.

Turned a taper on the base of the knob per the original and turned down the body but left a raised ring. This was knurled with my Rockwin hand Knurlmaster. Parted and flipped the knob for facing and chamfering the back side. Finished product works and looks great!

Services were held for the unintentional project after the intentional one was finished.

Bruce

20160911_165326a.jpg 20160912_110221a.jpg

20160911_162437a.jpg 20160912_102344a.jpg 20160912_105203a.jpg 20160912_113649a.jpg 20160912_113737a.jpg 20160912_125327a.jpg 20160912_130328a.jpg 20160912_130720a.jpg 20160912_130927a.jpg 20160912_131441a.jpg 20160912_131742a.jpg 20160912_132148a.jpg

Very nicely done "intentional" result! As for the unintentional, I well know what you mean. So far I've been lucky, and the meeces have only nested in drawers. Nevertheless, I HATE finding urine-stained insulation all over a drawer full of newly rusted stuff - hate them meeces to pieces! I'll be trying mothballs in all the drawers this winter. I hear they work pretty well as a deterrent. Maybe you can find a way to place/hang a couple into your headstock. The naphthalene type should be pretty benign toward metal. I suppose the paradichlorobenzene is inert enough not to be a problem, but any mention of chlorine makes me paranoid. Good luck!

PS - if you have some camphor around (rust preventer for tool boxes), I'd bet it would work also.

Very nicely done "intentional" result! As for the unintentional, I well know what you mean. So far I've been lucky, and the meeces have only nested in drawers. Nevertheless, I HATE finding urine-stained insulation all over a drawer full of newly rusted stuff - hate them meeces to pieces! I'll be trying mothballs in all the drawers this winter. I hear they work pretty well as a deterrent. Maybe you can find a way to place/hang a couple into your headstock. The naphthalene type should be pretty benign toward metal. I suppose the paradichlorobenzene is inert enough not to be a problem, but any mention of chlorine makes me paranoid. Good luck!

PS - if you have some camphor around (rust preventer for tool boxes), I'd bet it would work also.

I have heard that people who have collector cars use shavings of Irish Spring bar soap to deter mouse infestations when they store their vehicles. Since I discovered several layers of a paper towel roll eaten through in one of my shops just today I think I'll try that.

Back