2016 POTD Thread Archive

According to the blogs (because you can always trust the internet . . .) there really isn't a good long term repellent for mice and rats. Depending on the ones you read, messing with their sense of smell doesn't work long term. They can live in sewers around sewer gas and smells that gag us, so dryer sheets, peppermint oil, etc. might work in the short term, but not for the long term. They are looking for a place of shelter and food. Remove those two and they go away. The farmers in our neighborhood use 5 gallon pails with antifreeze about halfway up. Float bird seed on the top and give them a nice ramp up to the pail. I've also seen a soda bottle with a stick through the middle (the long way) as an axle; axle holes drilled on either side of the pail. Coat the bottle with peanut butter and you've got a log roller for mice. By the way, the anti-freeze keeps the water from freezing in the winter.

Bruce

We have a rule here; tenants that don't pay rent aren't welcome. I have had literally thousands of dollars of damage from mice.

Living in a 100+ year old house, mice have always been a problem. Before my second marriage, cats provided a solution but the new wife has a phobia about cats so they went and the mice came. Diligent setting of traps would keep them under control but after a few weeks of no activity the vigilance goes lax.

Two years ago, I posed the question to the internet, "How small on opening can a mouse get through?". The consensus was if you can fit a pen in the hole the mouse can get through. So I crawled around the foundation, sealing any crack or crevice more than 1/4" in size with mortar. The building technique for foundations 100 years ago used mortar for the outer layers in the 20" foundation but the inner core was loose rock so a breach of the outside layer would lead to a labyrinth of passages. Mortar back then was also lime mortar which tends to crumble over the decades

The house doors are all sealed weather tight so they were OK. The basement entrance was an issue as that door was old and had a less than perfect seal. I put a couple of screen door closers on the door and we keep a stop on the door to ensure that it is closed. For almost two years, there was no sign of a mouse.

Then, about a month ago, as we were watching TV, one skittered across the living room floor. With all the work outside, we had become lax in checking the basement door and several nights, there the door was left slightly ajar. I suspect that a family took up residence as I have trapped a number of them since. Hopefully, with diligence, I can clean out the infestation and we'll be good again.

The woodworking shop is hopeless as that building is even older with no chance of a hermetic seal. It is strange that having all the nice pine shavings from the planer that the critters have a distinct preference for user manuals as nesting materials

Same goes for the forge. Last year, I had to rebuild my Miller welder because a mouse crawled in through a vent slit and made a nest on top of the secondary wiring. I had a similar issue where a mouse built a nest in the insulation of a lab convention oven.

And so it goes, the barn, my boats, the tractors. They had even built a nest in the air intake and chewed up the ignition wiring of my wife's Audi.

I don't use poisons as I don't like dead mice decomposing in inaccessible places. The old fashioned Victor traps with the metal trigger pan work well. The pail with water and pivoting paddle also works.

Maybe it's time for a pet ferret.

If your wife is afraid of cats she's going to be terrified of ferrets. They're ferocious little monsters.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My dog is a much better mouse hunter than our cat was. He will chase them anywhere no matter how deep he has to dig, how wet he gets or how many thistles he has to go over. Here he is on his way to get a bath after chasing down and killing a family of mice at my friends lake cottage.

Photo00051_zpsk3i9ibhu.jpg

Looks pretty pleased with himself!

I got the Yamaha front wheel mounted in the Buell forks last night. It was amazingly easy as the 17mm Buell axle is the right size for the Yamaha wheel bearings and the only thing I had to make was a .075" spacer between the left fork leg and the speedo drive on the wheel. I had to machine a locating tab off the speedo drive and make it flat on the side that fits against the fork leg. I struggled with measuring the distance from the wheel to each fork leg accurately until I spent a half hour making up a tool for the job. I uses a simple fixture to hold a dial indicator and very accurately measures that dimension and it now centered perfectly (within .005"). Now I have to figure out what to do about brakes.

20160912_124050_zpsysgkthj1.jpg

20160912_145316_zps4slhqqrf.jpg

20160912_145328_zpsa9xvogrq.jpg

20160912_145600_zpsl7ww0ohp.jpg

20160912_145549_zpscfiis0ot.jpg

20160912_133116_zpslbc3tbqa.jpg

... Before my second marriage, cats provided a solution but the new wife has a phobia about cats so they went and the mice came. ...

Terriers are viscous little mousers. Perhaps a dog?

I've seen documentaries where a fellow would rent his terriers out for farmers. He lets 3 of them loose in the barn and the carnage doesn't stop until the mice are finished. They were relentless.

There is nothing happier than a dog with a job.

just saw one in the basement as I opened the door yesterday.....:headache:

he was pretty chubby too....nothing down there to eat...

My other shed absolutely stank of rat/mouse pee. Neither of my 2 dogs were interested in trying to sort them out.
I tried traps and a variety of baits to no avail so I had to resort to poison.
The one I used worked and they seek the open to die, also the poison breaks down so if the dogs eat the dead critter its not a danger.
Shed smells much better now.

Back