2016 POTD Thread Archive

Jp, What engine is in that one. I use to use an old Lincoln that my dad had that had a old flat head 6 in it. Of course that thing was made to weld Plate Steel on ships, Thus it could go through 1 inch plate with no problems. It could burn up a small rod in no time if set wrong. But the old flat head would run and just keep running. Think that the flag would be a good one, The dials and the panel will be one that will be hard to get done.

He should have fun getting it going.

Well this bench welding project would have been a lot easier if the driveway was level/even, but it has about 14 different levels from years of cracking andand settling. Instead I had to assemble in the single car garage shop the bench that will solve my tight space issues. I can barely get around the thing until it's complete and I put the machines on it. But I got the main skeleton done. This isn't even half the steel, so there's still a LOT more to come, but it's a very good start and I'm even more excited now that it's taking shape.

b60022c0cce260e2e0c50a68c28365f9.jpg

Posting the same image two ways because of a weird tapatalk error message. Hopefully at least one is visible for everyone.

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57e7a04736465/IMG_20160924_215033.jpg?

Them older welders cannot be beat, my dad had a FORNEY 295 amp continuous duty rated AC welder that never got warm let alone hot, It came from the Evansvillle, Indiana ships works where the LST's were built during the war, my dad said they were being sold for $30.00 at the wad end. I cut my teeth on it at 15 years old and just recently sold at auction to a scrap dealer who said no body wants them anymore, guess they have never laid a perfect bead with one. It would weld 1" plate steel with only a butt joint. The old boys knew what they were doing.

The only problem with the one my dad had was the fact it was so big. It would have taken a full size tandem axel trailer to move it. And it took a large crane to lift it up to get it on the trailer. We used it many times as a generator for the house during Tornados etc. (lived in the Texas Panhandle where Tornados are a fact of life). You could power the house, his work area, and still not even cause it to rev to keep up. A couple of the pro welders in the area would bring stuff over to our house to use it, when they had something that they needed a little extra power on.

Hot Rod Lincoln has the flathead inline 6 "Hercules " motor.
It sat behind a barn for 15 years. The motor will turn about 15*, so its about to get the acetone/ ATF treatment in the cylinders.
it just needs some TLC.
Stay tuned for the refurb series coming soon to a computer near you!

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

Don't mean to hijack the post but the old "Herc Flathead Six" brings good memories. 30 years ago I did dirt work, built roads and stuff. I bought an old compactor ("steam roller") at a state auction. It had the "Herc Flat 6" but it usually only ran on 4 or 5. It still pulled most grades I was working on so I used it that summer and rebuilt it in the winter. After the rebuild she would purr like a kitten, but wasn't doing nearly as good of a job rolling the gravel down. Finally figured out I just had to pull 1 or 2 spark plug wires and get her shaking like hell. Turned the old girl into a vibratory roller! I did that with each final pass for 3 or 4 years!

IMG_20160924_215033.jpg
Well this bench welding project would have been a lot easier if the driveway was level/even, but it has about 14 different levels from years of cracking andand settling. Instead I had to assemble in the single car garage shop the bench that will solve my tight space issues. I can barely get around the thing until it's complete and I put the machines on it. But I got the main skeleton done. This isn't even half the steel, so there's still a LOT more to come, but it's a very good start and I'm even more excited now that it's taking shape.

Posting the same image two ways because of a weird tapatalk error message. Hopefully at least one is visible for everyone.

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57e7a04736465/IMG_20160924_215033.jpg?

Looking good so far.
lk

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57e7a04736465/IMG_20160924_215033.jpg?[/QUOTE]

Yours is about like mine, you have to move something around to have room to move something else just so you can work. Like now I need to use my drill press, but to get at it I have to move the grinders then the band saw, just to reach over the 9inch band saw to get to it.

Nice work on the frame. what size is the Square stock. I used 2inch square, 2 1/4 angle, and plate steel to make my table for the 10 inch lathe.

Back