2016 POTD Thread Archive

Had to build the crates for the litters yesterday. It went fairly quick and the weather was perfect for outdoor cutting. There is a total of three pallets as each one will hold five units. The paint shop missed there promise date of last Friday, but it worked out better for me as I only had Sunday to work in the shop and I was a bit more tired after shift than normal, so a short easy day was welcomed.

These are fifth generation design and have been working for the past seven years and work with all three models with a wider cradle. The smaller jig table is converted into a wood cutting station and has dedicated tapped holes for the saw. Custom brackets are clamped for a quick back gauge for production cutting with consistent results for quick nailing/assembly.
IMG_0179.JPG
The three sets of pallets awaiting nailing/assembly. The three cradles where assembled on the end of the table while standing and will be nailed to the main pallet.
The shop floor has small sharpie marks for quick square layout. The main runners are also laid out as a group on both sides making assembly fast.
IMG_0180.JPG
The three pallets stacked and ready for loading.
IMG_0181.JPG
Once the painted components are assembled, I will show in detail what it takes to secure the five units for a 2K mile trip.
They should look like this (five units stacked) once crated and ready for freight pick up.
IMG_1567.JPG
The other two pallets (ten units) will be placed into the sea container awaiting sale.
My only day off was short and easy and I managed to recover from a sleepless Saturday night.
Thanks for looking.
Turn and burn!
Paco

Nice job on the pallets. Always helps to have it down to a system. Mike

Thanks Mike,
We've built a few over the years and having a system/method saves time for sure.
I was explaining to my son about using air nailers and keeping your hands clear as once in a while a nail can exit the side of the lumber. The next nail did this and he got the picture loud and clear. Always good to see examples of things that can cause harm (without injury).

View attachment 136590

Looking good so far.
lk
Thanks!

b60022c0cce260e2e0c50a68c28365f9.jpg

Posting the same image two ways because of a weird tapatalk error message. Hopefully at least one is visible for everyone.

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57e7a04736465/IMG_20160924_215033.jpg?

Yours is about like mine, you have to move something around to have room to move something else just so you can work. Like now I need to use my drill press, but to get at it I have to move the grinders then the band saw, just to reach over the 9inch band saw to get to it.

Nice work on the frame. what size is the Square stock. I used 2inch square, 2 1/4 angle, and plate steel to make my table for the 10 inch lathe.[/QUOTE]

I'm using 1.25" 11 gauge square tubing, because I already had a bunch, because tubing always looks better than angle, and because it's easy to attach drawer glides to tubing with sheet metal screws. I'm not an engineer, and I'm not even attempting any load calculations. The plan is to just overbuild it. :)

I would prefer to use thick wall 2" tubing (receiver hitch type stuff), but I don't want to pay for that, or cut all of it, or move the finished thing when we move someday. I do have a 400+ pound wood slab that will be stored in the bottom of this, waiting for the day when I can turn it into my woodworking bench. I just don't have room here. That extra weight at the base shouldn't hurt. :)

I do have a 400+ pound wood slab that will be stored in the bottom of this, waiting for the day when I can turn it into my woodworking bench. I just don't have room here. That extra weight at the base shouldn't hurt.
That should help absorb some vibrations what kind of levelers are you going to use if it is as long as it looks it may need several to brace it up. .

Eight leveling bolts. I have lots of 3/8" and 3/4". Seems like 1/2"-5/8" would be more appropriate, but I would rather use what I have. Since I have literally dozens of 3/8" coupler nuts I think I'll probably go that way, welded at the intersection of the horizontal members around the base. It's 12' long. Well, 12.125", as Metal Supermarkets apparently has a different definition of 12' than any of my tape measures. :)

Incidentally, I hadn't bought anything but miscellaneous cutoffs from them in the past. I figured that since they are a large, chain operation they wouldn't be much different from other places, and if anything maybe a little cheaper. Nope. Way more expensive. But it was 4:40 PM on Friday afternoon, so I just paid it. The more I think about it the more irritated I am. I decided today that I need some more and sure enough the usual places are about 70% cheaper per foot, so it wasn't just a matter of buying at different times.

Jake, you may be able to find repo dial plates for that old sa300.

On another note, this beauty will arrive in about 3wks or so, 10 tools, 40 taper, 8000rpm and comes with about 70 BT40 holders of various types. Machine has the rigid tap option. It's a 1996 yr model, and yes I will be able to feed it CAM programs :)
s-l1600-18.jpg

Last edited:
Back