2016 POTD Thread Archive

Dang, wish I could weld like that, it's a sight to see.

View attachment 94906
The birds are Australian Magpies although they are not related to the European Magpies who are members af the Corvid family.
Aussie Magpies are closer related to the Butcher birds.
The one on my knee is the dad, mum is in the middle and child is on the right. Its a family of four and the dad and one of the kids who I assume is also male will come right into the middle of the shop asking for a feed. They are the only ones who will sit on my knee but all four will take food from my hand.
I dont know why it feels so good hand feeding them but it does.
Their warbling song is very melodious and when all four get going it sounds awesome.
In the nesting season some of the males will attack anyone who comes near the nest so it will be interesting this year if they bring their youngsters back.

View attachment 94906

G'day Savarin, I'm in Adelaide and we have two families of magpies, one at the front of the house and the other at the back of the house. We feed them a couple of times a day at the side of the house, and they have an imaginary line across the path and if any bird from one family crosse that line into the other families territory it's on for young and old.

However they have never attacked or swooped on us or any of our friends when they come around. Occasionally one of them will come inside the house and tell us they want more food.

We also have Kookaburras, Rainbow Lorikeets , Adelaide and eastern Rosellas, all coming in every day for a free feed. And the occasional Koala, looking for water in the hot dry
summer.

Dan, you might consider adding a 2" receiver for support tooling such as a vise. Looking good man!
I have some left over HF 44" castors your welcome to, but the shipping might cost more than what HF sells them for off the shelf as Jim mentioned.

An example of the receiver, The jig in the photo allows for accurate measurements and assembly while setting up pinion and ring gears. A removable vice is also nice when not needed. The jig will store from the inboard side of the receiver. I like this feature so much I included it in the four toolbox island design.

IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0717.JPGIMG_0722.JPG
As always Dan, you do great work!

Paco

Thanks Paco.

Any ideas for the ends? I'd like some kind of file rack at one end. It just seems like there is wasted space I need to do some thing with.

The receiver is a great idea, I need to add them to my welding table. I plan on mounting a smaller vise (3") on one corner but I think I'll just mount this one direct to the top.

a friend came to my shop with a big emergency. He stripped a gear in his spit motor and can't cook his lamb this weekend, so I attempted to cut a new gear for him.
View attachment 98803 I mounted his old gear on the end of a jig I had made to make the gear for my thread dial. the little lever is used to index the old gear and the blank is on the other end.
View attachment 98804 This is the other end with the blank on it. I put two blanks on and cut them together so he has a spare if he messes one up installing it.

View attachment 98805 These are the finished gears. They came out usable so everyone is happy.

Excellent , well done.

Lamb you say, every time I visit the states I find it impossible to get lamb, Found a bit up in canada, but again not easy. Here in Australia we almost live on it.

Wow. I would never have guessed that you quench aluminum to anneal it. Doesn't that harden steel?

Now, all I have to do is figure out what scrubbing soap is. :)

Is this the stuff?

View attachment 99466

Yes some metals are different, copper is also annealed by quenching,

Thanks Paco.

Any ideas for the ends? I'd like some kind of file rack at one end. It just seems like there is wasted space I need to do some thing with.

The receiver is a great idea, I need to add them to my welding table. I plan on mounting a smaller vise (3") on one corner but I think I'll just mount this one direct to the top.

Hi Dan,

Not knowing exactly what you have and use often (tools etc) its difficult to recommend how to utilize the end space. If you have hand grinders, perhaps a piece of flat strap welded horizontally with 1/2 circles cutout to support each grinder by the disc/wheel in the vertical position. I'm sure you'll come up with something cool, but I like the idea of holing off on the paint until your vision come to mind. I'm always thinking of add ons during a builds for myself, I seldom draw up a project as I know it will end up looking completely different.
Keep us posted as I appreciate looking at your work as well as others.
Turn and burn!
Paco

This is a square broach I made just to see if it would work. I don't have any current need for a square hole but who knows I might someday.
I started with a 1/2" square rod 8" long and cut 12 grooves about 0.300 apart , 0.100 wide, and a little under 1/2" diameter. Turned the starting end to just under 1/2" and about 5/8" long. Then using the compound set at 3 degrees proceeded to cut each land about 0.013 smaller than the one before it and ended up with 13 cutting spaces.
Drilled a 1/2" hole in some 1/4" aluminum scrap and pushed the tool through with the press. It worked quite well without much force but when the last land broke through the bottom it left a jagged square hole. I tried a couple more but this time I stopped two lands before breaking through the bottom. I then turned the plate over and finished the broach coming in from the other side. Much better finish and even in 1/2" material the press wasn't straining.
This is just mild steel from the box store and not hardened.

GEDC2764s.jpg

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back