2016 POTD Thread Archive

Nice drawbar! I've had the same project on my mind for a couple years now. I just finished some drawings for my design which is almost the same as yours except it will have a thrust bearing.
How is that brass sleeve connected to the bar? Press fit? Threaded?

It's not attached, it slides free to act, in a way, like a thrust bearing...but different. My other drawbar for the 2J collets has thrust washers so this takes their place. and it gave me another adjustment avenue should I have needed it.

The handwheel is made from a scraped piece of aluminum I had from a failed project and is pinned to the bar with a roll pin (.237 dia.).

Made up an oiling gun for the underside of my vehicles. With the amount of salt and liquid deicer they use here a layer of no-drip I think its vegetable based oil helps slow down the rust process.

I had a commercial gun that used a small canister that you were forever refilling. In the process I was covered with the stuff.

Had a pressure pot for paint kicking around, and modified an old high pressure paint gun. Drilled out the paint nozzle to .1 inch and opened up the front nozzle and silver soldered a length of 3/8 ss tubing.

With 40 psi on the pot and about the same on the gun it worked incredible. No mess at all and sprayed about 4 litres on each vehicle in about 20 minute each.

TNFEn01KMW6g5-XB0cjlejmmQ8G1WVzpDM_SKxhhtzw0phz6-W6Z6L4vszbGGINqtqP4XpHOWVVSLPuUc5=w954-h1271-no.jpg

Greg

TNFEn01KMW6g5-XB0cjlejmmQ8G1WVzpDM_SKxhhtzw0phz6-W6Z6L4vszbGGINqtqP4XpHOWVVSLPuUc5=w954-h1271-no.jpg

I'm rebuilding an automatic transmission (4L80e), and I fabbed up a spring compressor to use on some of the drum assemblies (you need to compress a ring of springs then put in a c-clip to hold the ring in place).

View attachment 139079

OK. I see your device but have no idea how it works. Not enough detail to be useful (for me).

I'd love to see it in use (close-ups of tool with parts loaded in). Explain how it works. Compressing where? How?

I spent the day being handyman carpenter. We have a ramp from the side road of our house to the backdoor deck. Well it's been off for a couple months mommy said get it done. When I built it twenty years ago I was good able to walk and get around do it all myself. Well now it ain't so good but I ordered the wood awhile back left it in my van to do when help showed up non did so I got the delta portable chop saw base mounted my old MAKITA 10" chop saw and started cutting the deck boards three ft long width of ramp. Called an old hunting buddy , left a message ,, crying ,, lol. He showed up an hour or so later . We remade the floor rafters scribed and cut to match the old brick sidewalk taper . Screwed them to the deck added extra support under those. Then he did the nailing with my hand held SENCO hammer and galvanised nails. The three rafters and 26 deck boards were all done in about 5 hours. Larry fell in love with my nailer think I'm gonna give it to him when we get the other parts done on my house it's a twin my daughter lives on the other side. She's getting a larger deck in the spring bilt right over the small one she has now. So that w a s my day in the shop doing a need it done.

Last edited:
Made up an oiling gun for the underside of my vehicles. With the amount of salt and liquid deicer they use here a layer of no-drip I think its vegetable based oil helps slow down the rust process.

I had a commercial gun that used a small canister that you were forever refilling. In the process I was covered with the stuff.

Had a pressure pot for paint kicking around, and modified an old high pressure paint gun. Drilled out the paint nozzle to .1 inch and opened up the front nozzle and silver soldered a length of 3/8 ss tubing.

With 40 psi on the pot and about the same on the gun it worked incredible. No mess at all and sprayed about 4 litres on each vehicle in about 20 minute each.

Greg
That's funny just a few days ago I was talking to a buddy , he was complaining about rust from the the road salts and sprays. I told him how we use to paint the underside of our trucks from running the beaches fishing we used old motor oil my dad would have loved your set up. Plus my uncle and brother in law. We all had campers and fish boxes on 4x4 trucks. I'm the last one alive but my fishing days are over , hunting too. I grew up doing them and never missed a day . Sure hurts to even think about it now. But thanks for building it would have been nice to have back then.

One operation I struggle with is measuring the depth of an internal groove or relief. I have a set of 0.375” – 1.375” inside dial calipers (run around $55 on eBay) which work pretty well. I’d been eyeing a product called “Indi-cal” for some time, picked one up off eBay for around $25. It’s advertised to be able to check internal bores and grooves from 0.200” to 6.000”. Only problem with the unit was one of what the instructions call a ball point was missing.

The ball point is about 0.130” in diameter, 0.295” long with a 2-56 thread 0.110” long on one end. Looked up a 2-56 thread in Machinery’s Handbook; 0.086” OD and a #50 tap drill.

I leave a 5-C collet chuck on my Clausing lathe for just these occasions. Chucked up a piece of 0.125” CRS and turned down a shoulder to 0.085”. Very carefully threaded with a 2-56 die, knurled the OD and parted off the point. Screwed the point back into the die which was chucked up on my Grizzly G0709 for filing the ball on the point. Fits perfectly.

I'll post a thread in the Metrology section in a day or two on how the Indi-cal works.

Bruce

View attachment 138877 View attachment 138878 View attachment 138879 View attachment 138880 View attachment 138881 View attachment 138882
They have been around for forty years I think. I wanted one back then but they were pricy . Now with used eBay deals there great. Great job on the part you made. There a little tricky to hold in the groove measure a few times to be sure.

I made these today a 24 tooth and a 36 tooth DP16.
View attachment 138965
View attachment 138966

I have made single pointed gears over the years and some even turn out kind of working OK but some not so well.

I finally broke down and bought a set of these.
View attachment 138967

These take all the guess work out of the project and produce great teeth that rival store bought.

Blank turned to size.

View attachment 138968
I cut them in two passes the picture below is during the first pass.
View attachment 138969

I am happy
Thanks for looking.

Ray
I'm going to make some gears for my old Rockwell delta 20" power feed drill press. Seems like they all get stripped out , only abuse can do that I say . But I need to make a couple for both feeds on the head and table racks. I'm looking for a dividing head I can afford but no go , the cheapest I find are new China clones . And there over $350.00. I'm stuck going to find them being in a wheelchair but sometime I will find or sell something and go Chinese. Your gears look great mine are 10 DP and 14 1/2 degrees. I think they're 34 teeth.

Back