2016 POTD Thread Archive

Firestopper - Wasn't intending to say your application was incorrect, or that mine wasn't. haha. It was most definitely a mistake on my part to use them. Just a warning to those who may not know that they really aren't usefull for anything other than leveling feet, and could be dangerous when used for unintended applications.

My situation was unique, in that the my winemaking "facility" is 100 miles away from my home and shop. So, the traditional methods of welding on a flange wouldn't work. So I tried these. My replacement is overbuilt in that I had to weld 1/4" plate to special telescoping 2" Square tube. Flange tapped 1/2-13 and double secured with nuts on the caster foot. So I could install them remotely, and never have to worry again.

Firestopper - Wasn't intending to say your application was incorrect, or that mine wasn't. haha. It was most definitely a mistake on my part to use them. Just a warning to those who may not know that they really aren't usefull for anything other than leveling feet, and could be dangerous when used for unintended applications.

I understand what you where saying, no problem here. We all learn from past experience and from members on the forum. I appreciate your comments as well as all others.
Just wanted to reinforce that the leveling feet set up would work well for a stationary application. Sharing failures is invaluable to many of us, that said, thanks for sharing.

My wife would love a tour (tasting) of your wine facility heehee.

More bicycle work today. At least I got to use the lathe.
I've been trying to find a handlebar stem that doesn't stick out so far ahead of the stem. I found one on Amazon, but the seller didn't specify what size it was. There are two basic size stems, 7/8" (22.2mm) and 1" (25.4mm). My bike uses the one-inch size.

I sent an email to the seller and asked what size their stem was. He didn't know but said he'd go look. The next day (he must have taken a long look) he wrote back that the stem I wanted was the 1-inch variety. So, I ordered it.
Eight days later (it took them 6 days to get it out of stock and to the post office) it arrived.

When I pulled it out of the package I could see it was too small. But, I took it out to the shop, measured it and actually tried it in the stem hole, where it rattled around. It was the 7/8" stem. I looked on the package and as big as you see, there it was, 22.2mm stem size for a 25.4mm handlebar diameter.

I called them. I admit, I was annoyed. The guy who answered was nice enough but he didn't know anything. The mechanic would call me back, which he never did. Then I got an email disputing my complaint, insisting that the part they sent was a 25.4mm stem. Then he had the tumerity to insist that go back and try it again, because they sent the right one.

I explained that I am a machinist and know how to read a dial caliper and was capable of seeing how the one they sent rattled around in the hole and would not work. I took a picture of the package where it clearly said it was the wrong size. I just wanted to know if they have the correct one so I can order it, or do I have to return this turkey.

I didn't hear back from them after that. I don't think they know how good I am at writing a bad review. they handled this very poorly and I'm going to give them such a nuggie.

I was irritated because I'd waited so long for the part, and now I was going to have packe it back up and send it back.

Then, I decided to be a machinist and make a adapter shim to make it work. I drilled a 7/8" hole in a 4" x 1.25 aluminum bar, then turned down the outside to 1 inch, leaving a lip so it wouldn't slip down in the stem hole.

The walls got pretty thin, so I had to be gingerly, but I got 'er done.

stem bushing_0846.JPG stem bushing_0845.JPG

The lip on top of the adapter keeps it from falling in the hole.

stem bushing_0847.JPG stem bushing_0848.JPG

The stem tightens in the hole by means of a slanted nut and angle at the bottom of the stem tube.

stem bushing_0849.JPG

Mission accomplished. The handlebars are 4" closer to me with the new stem. I don't have to lean over so far and put so much weight on my hands while riding. They get sore from the pressure on longer rides. I am pleased with the result.

That's using the old noggin, nice job. If you need it even closer to you, looks like you could just rotate the stem 180 deg and remount the bars. Mike

That's using the old noggin, nice job. If you need it even closer to you, looks like you could just rotate the stem 180 deg and remount the bars. Mike

There are quality high strength light weight alloy handle bar head stock tubes that have a 120 or so degree of adjustable arc , they clamp to a serrated face on each side of this split elbow via high tensile Allen screw . They can face forward , be upright or face backwards depending on how you insert them in the stem .

I used to have one on my real cycle before the spinal disability over took me and forced me to get rid of it .

That is an option, Mike. Fortunately, the four inches back was just right.

Drilling and turning a 1/32" wall tube from a blank of 4" x 1.25" stock made a very large wad of big curly-ass swarf.

There are quality high strength light weight alloy handle bar head stock tubes that have a 120 or so degree of adjustable arc , they clamp to a serrated face on each side of this split elbow via high tensile Allen screw . They can face forward , be upright or face backwards depending on how you insert them in the stem .
I used to have one on my real cycle before the spinal disability over took me and forced me to get rid of it .

That's what I had on it before the change, RIC.

Depending on the weight of your machine and loaded tooling, perhaps a second set of feet on the shelf end would be appropriate for a total of six.
I like the 1/2" threaded end cap idea. The build looks neat as hell as I can visualize the end product.

The lathe only weighs about 1300lbs so 4 feet should be fine and will make it easier to level.

Back