2016 POTD Thread Archive

I wanted to put some holes in my welding table. I borrowed a friends mag drill to make things easier. Man this drill is a beast.
DSCF1147_zpsgdkrhu9e.jpg
Yep that's a whopping 92.5 lbs. Going to get my workout today lifting this thing up and down.
DSCF1146_zpsretbzd03.jpg
Here we go. Working like a champ.
DSCF1149_zpsdpaiq0n7.jpg
All done.
DSCF1151_zpse53di5ki.jpg

DSCF1147_zpsgdkrhu9e.jpg

DSCF1146_zpsretbzd03.jpg

DSCF1149_zpsdpaiq0n7.jpg

DSCF1151_zpse53di5ki.jpg

DSCF1147_zpsgdkrhu9e.jpg

DSCF1146_zpsretbzd03.jpg

DSCF1149_zpsdpaiq0n7.jpg

DSCF1151_zpse53di5ki.jpg

DSCF1147_zpsgdkrhu9e.jpg

DSCF1146_zpsretbzd03.jpg

DSCF1149_zpsdpaiq0n7.jpg

DSCF1151_zpse53di5ki.jpg

DSCF1147_zpsgdkrhu9e.jpg

DSCF1146_zpsretbzd03.jpg

DSCF1149_zpsdpaiq0n7.jpg

DSCF1151_zpse53di5ki.jpg

DSCF1147_zpsgdkrhu9e.jpg

DSCF1146_zpsretbzd03.jpg

DSCF1149_zpsdpaiq0n7.jpg

DSCF1151_zpse53di5ki.jpg

I don't have pictures, but I turned myself a copy of my spindle. It took awhile for me to be right on the money for the register diameter. It is now laying next to my lathe. I will be starting my collet chuck build soon and will be using the spindle copy as a test plug. I also made a go/no go gauge for the register. The go is exactly the same diameter and the no go is .001" under register diameter.

Got started on the table slide of the tool rest today, Cut all the parts for the slides and squared and fly cut the faces of the inner slide. Next will be to true up the outers and mill all the dove tails.
View attachment 118553

Mark

Well guys the wife is still in the hospital but they moved her out of ICU to a Acute extended care Hospital that is 5 min. from the house. (the ICU at Loyola is 1 hour 10 min. in good traffic)0 She is still in bad shape but slowly improving.
But her being closer has allowed me to get in a little shop time this weekend so it was back to work on the grinder rests. I managed to get most of the rough blanks for the dovetail slides machined to final size. Took a while of going over notes and sketches to get my head back on the plan. nothing exciting enough to post photos of but cutting the dovetails is coming up soon. This will be a very slow project even by my standards.

Mark

NCjeeper, That is an antique. I remember having one like that when I worker in the fab shop in the late 80s and 90s. I was old then. We have ones now that drill something like a 1" hole and weigh about 25 lbs. Not to say that was not a good tool or that I would not love to have it in my shop. Just thinking how many guys it would take to set it up vertical or overhead.
Nice job on the table!

Mark

That is awesome David. it is cool to see kids get involved in this sort of thing. she seems like a bright girl. Keep up the good work both of you.

Mark

Very happy so far with the HF tool cart. Seems to be well made with very smooth ball bearing drawers. Casters are pretty beefy and roll easily. It'll help me keep the floor swept.

Nice setup and a great price on the 5C collet set. Have to agree with you on the HF tool cabinets, they consistently get very good reviews for their top of the line tool chests.

Well guys the wife is still in the hospital but they moved her out of ICU to a Acute extended care Hospital that is 5 min. from the house. (the ICU at Loyola is 1 hour 10 min. in good traffic). She is still in bad shape but slowly improving.
My very best wishes to her for a speedy recovery. Best to you, also. It has to be quite a strain. Hang in there!

I wanted to put some holes in my welding table. I borrowed a friends mag drill to make things easier. Man this drill is a beast.
Yep that's a whopping 92.5 lbs. Going to get my workout today lifting this thing up and down.
Shucks ... with all that weight, the magnetic feature almost seems redundant ;~)

David S,
It's wonderful to see youngsters with the interest and patience to learn some skills. I imagine she'll think fondly of you whenever the knowledge is used.

You mention pulse mig, what model do you have. I have a Kemppi Kempact pulse 3000. When its in pulse or double pulse mode I never get the stack of dimes look to my welds? It is always washed smooth almost like I have run a tig over the top.
Is that your machine or a technique to get that look?

I'm running a Miller P350 90/10 gas .035 Hobart wire. Arc length 85, Arc control 50 for the vertical joint. The coupler bracket was 3/8" thick and the 5" channel was 3/16" thick, so I used a counter clock motion with a very slight pause on the heavier material. For the flat weld corner joints the arc length and arc control was reduced for a flatter weld and the manipulation was a whip motion (pushing). I switch up the technique depending on joint fit up as I go but not too much as the fit up are usually fairly consistent. Some times pulling back a bit (longer stick out) can change the heat and present with a cooling of the puddle quicker.
The M-350 can also lay a smooth hot bead when simply dragging or pushing. The photo shows a single hot pass on cradle adaptors with no manipulation. The bead resembles a 7018 arc weld more than a Mig weld. Not sure on your set up, but on the M-350 you can used different gas as well but would need to play with the settings.
20141231_114110.jpg20141231_121110.jpg

Back