2016 POTD Thread Archive

Chevy, That almost looks to good to be using.

Sanddan That much weight and the lathe on top of that , You sure you don't need a center brace, If you are like me that means at least another 100 to 150 pound or more of tools in the box, then what you can put in the shelves. Of course I always over build things

By center brace, do you mean another 2 legs? I tried 6 legs in the design and it looked a little over done. I can add them later if it looks like I need extra support but I think it will be fine. We'll see, maybe this Sunday if all goes well.

Made a "combination" key to keep a generator and replacement engine in "sink" when aligning the shafts. One end is 1/4" the other is 5/32". The generator has a 7/8" shaft, the engine a 3/4" shaft. It is not very pretty but it does keep them synchronized when I turn them. Thought they were "close" but I find the engine will have to go down about 0.100" so will replace a 1/2" riser block with one that is 3/8" thick and add some shims. More to adding a replacement engine than I thought.
Have a good day
Ray

In sink? Like the parts washer sink? Or like n'sync, my favorite boy band lmao had to bro. Got any pictures of it? Do you have a 4 jaw chuck for the lathe? If so you can make the half inch block the perfect height or thickness

Chevydyl
Thanks for looking at the thread. When using a dial indicator aligning two machines it is necessary to eliminate out of round or rough places on one shaft by fastening a target or reading the same position on one shaft than secure the dial indicator to the other. The shafts are then keyed and taped so that they rotate (by hand) simultaneously to provide a comparison of the position of one shaft to the other. Using this technique can bring the shafts parallel (in line) and on the same axis with each other.

By using a 3/8" plate and shims I can determine how thick to make the riser block then make it on the lathe with a 4 jaw chuck or the mill. If all goes well the plate supporting the engine and generator is not bent or uneven thickness.

Haven't learned how to do pictures yet, maybe someday!
Ray

People ecigs that blow up is cause they use CHEAP ass Chinese made products, get the good brands like Sony or samsung. You ever notice the problems are with them little round ecigs, for the most part. Guy caught his blankets on fire on a platform near where I work, they showed a picture of the very common cheap ecig battery in the sink, and then made it a company policy no ecigs in doors, which should have been policy from day one, it's still a tobacco product with 'smoke'
If your gonna vape, don't buy the cheapest **** you can find get reputable brands with built in protection

Finally got around to a small project I have been mulling over in my head for some time.

Solves a couple of problems:
  • How do you set your table saw blade perpendicular when you cannot focus on the square
  • How do you move the fence over 0.025" without making 4 test cuts
IMG_3060_zpslxjndhg8.jpg

The small block sits on the fence and allows me to use the indicator to measure small movements.
IMG_3062_zpsh0b7ir7n.jpg

This block allows me to use the indicator to test the blade for perpendicular

IMG_3063_zpsy90oigeq.jpg

No more squinting at the square next to the blade trying to see if there is daylight showing anywhere. I figure 0.0005" over 2.25" is close enough to square for me.

IMG_3065_zps6mvljpod.jpg

IMG_3060_zpslxjndhg8.jpg

IMG_3062_zpsh0b7ir7n.jpg

IMG_3063_zpsy90oigeq.jpg

IMG_3065_zps6mvljpod.jpg

IMG_3060_zpslxjndhg8.jpg

IMG_3062_zpsh0b7ir7n.jpg

IMG_3063_zpsy90oigeq.jpg

IMG_3065_zps6mvljpod.jpg

IMG_3060_zpslxjndhg8.jpg

IMG_3062_zpsh0b7ir7n.jpg

IMG_3063_zpsy90oigeq.jpg

IMG_3065_zps6mvljpod.jpg

Just had an epiphany! (Actually a re-epiphany, if there is such a thing). Needed to turn don about 2" of the end of a 1/4" dia piece of 304 to 1/8" - yea, no fun. Spent 20 minutes chasing flex even turning a half inch at a time. Then I remembered something I stumbled on years ago: you can get a counterbore to cut the shank of its own pilot. Grabbed a CB with 1/8" pilot hole, chucked it in the tailstock and fed it onto the 1/4" rod. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456608471.398805.jpg
Had my 1/8" tenon in about 2 minutes.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456608516.284868.jpg
Even did one 3/16" for the hell of it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456608563.258486.jpg
Just be sure the pilot hole goes all the way through the CB body (or as deep as tenon you need) and lots of oil.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456608630.425730.jpg

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back