2016 POTD Thread Archive

finished my collet chuck. Turned out the runout was in the rod I was using (slaps head). As best as I can measure it has around 0.0005 runout at the nose and ~1thou 4in out, which is good enough for me :) Made up a collet rack too.

IMG_4505.JPG IMG_4507.JPG IMG_4508.JPG IMG_4509.JPG

Nice job Matt! Looks good :encourage:

I modified a couple of purchaced SS bolts for a friend. He wanted the shoulders and the heads reduced in diameter. The photo is the finished work. I needed to put a center drill in the threaded end to keep things in line. Got to use my v-blocks on the mill for the first time to do that. Also first time I worked with SS on the lathe. It turned pretty good. Not a fancy project, but everything went very smoothly and the whole project only took about an hour.
image.jpeg

Rick

Finished (I thought) my ER25 collet chuck last night - checked the taper then ground it with a dremel attachment
View attachment 118626
super smooth and shiny
View attachment 118627

runout at the face on a 3/8 or 14mm round was around 0.0005, which was great, but ~8thou 6in out, which wasn't. I need to do some investigating as to why.

That's where making a set of test bars up comes in useful to adjust the lathe the more you have the tailstock from the chuck .
You set up a longer one the further you have the tailstock from the chuck & adjust the run out at the tail stock adjuster . Make sure the gibs are spot on as well, too much slack for an easier tailstock slide can cause problems too even though the tailstock clamp is done up tight

One thing I did find before I changed over to a new QCTP is that the old tool post was sitting on a hump that arose because someone had used a high tensile standard bolt in the " T " slot to try and hold something down .
Over a few passes with the lathe boring out a block I noticed the bore was conical . That's what made up my mind for me to get a heavy QCTP .. it only took several minutes to scrape the mounting surface flat using a ground down hacksaw blade and engineers blue .

I also discovered early on with this lathe that I had to set my gibs quite a bit tighter to stop slop /slew as I found I sometimes got conical holes, threads or bars when I tried to take heavy cuts

Last edited:
I modified a couple of purchaced SS bolts for a friend. He wanted the shoulders and the heads reduced in diameter. The photo is the finished work. I needed to put a center drill in the threaded end to keep things in line. Got to use my v-blocks on the mill for the first time to do that. Also first time I worked with SS on the lathe. It turned pretty good. Not a fancy project, but everything went very smoothly and the whole project only took about an hour.

Rick

Nice looking work. Suggest you put a coin (or some common item) in the photo(s) in future. You know there size, but we don't.

Nice looking work. Suggest you put a coin (or some common item) in the photo(s) in future. You know there size, but we don't.

Yeah, I probably should have. The photo was taken to send to my friend (and he knew the size obviously). For scale, the shoulder is 0.313 inches in diameter- a pretty small bolt.

Thanks,

Rick

Nice job ncjeeper, I did that same thing with internal and external threading inserts, it's fun to make your own cutting tools

I've assembled 16 or so differing shapes of of tungsten carbide most are at least 1/4 " thick along with three foot of 7/16 square cold rolled bright key way steel to make some tools ..
I've yet to make a suitable " hot " brazing torch but do have the stuff to make one .

Any tips from you guys who have made your own tipped tools would be most welcome.

Perhaps this should be in the " how to " section ............... I'm not sure .

I spent part of the weekend and last two days reconditioning my arbor press. It's a 3 ton Dake.

Nice job on the press. I have a hyd. press, but I'm always on the lookout for a nice used arbor press. That one should serve you well. Mike

Nice job on the press. I have a hyd. press, but I'm always on the lookout for a nice used arbor press. That one should serve you well. Mike
They are certainly nice to have. I find that a hydraulic press is great to have but an arbor press is so much more convenient for small push items like shafts and bearings or straightening things a touch.

Back