2016 POTD Thread Archive

Hi guys, here is the link for the finger engine. It's a fairly long page, but scroll down towards the bottom to find Toys and its in there. The original post was by member "kevin" on December 11 2015, so if I've not copied the link properly (entirely possible on my iPad) you can just do a search for member kevin and it shows up right at the top of the list. Machinist Made Toys, I think it was called.

Hope it works for you, and thanks for all the kind comments.

-frank

https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/useful-links#misctools

Quick little project that I addressed last night.

Anyone who knows my wife knows how much she loves her Chap-Stik. She has those stinkin' things everywhere. From our house (every room), to the Jeep, the coach and she even has them stashed on the bike for hell's sake, in my storage pockets.

On our way home from breakfast yesterday, she was bummed because the lid on her favorite Chap-Stik broke and it was a new tube. Upon arriving home, I quietly took it out to the shop and commenced making her a replacement lid.

Here is the original and my measuring.
33a5j03.jpg

My quick notes/dimensions.
4iekxl.jpg

Facing off a piece of .625" aluminum.
21j41m8.jpg

Boring it out to .001" less than the tube so the cap will stay on.
2gspfh3.jpg

Sneaking up on the bore and measuring with a snap gage.
33w2hk6.jpg

Once it was bored, I took some 320 emery paper and ran over the outside diameter, followed by some aluminum polish on a paper towel.
2jflqvq.jpg

I then parted it off, turned it around in the lathe and wrapped a playing card around it to protect the polished finish and faced off the top.
2mywzl4.jpg

Cap completed.
2pra4qx.jpg

And installed.
r46.jpg

It took me longer to clean off my lathe afterwards than it did to knock out this little project, but it sure brought a smile to wife's face. It's funny how a little 15-minute job like that can make a person's day. I told her it isn't everyone that has a kustom Chap-Stik lid.:lol:

Mike.

33a5j03.jpg

4iekxl.jpg

21j41m8.jpg

2gspfh3.jpg

33w2hk6.jpg

2jflqvq.jpg

2mywzl4.jpg

2pra4qx.jpg

r46.jpg

33a5j03.jpg

4iekxl.jpg

21j41m8.jpg

2gspfh3.jpg

33w2hk6.jpg

2jflqvq.jpg

2mywzl4.jpg

2pra4qx.jpg

r46.jpg

33a5j03.jpg

4iekxl.jpg

21j41m8.jpg

2gspfh3.jpg

33w2hk6.jpg

2jflqvq.jpg

2mywzl4.jpg

2pra4qx.jpg

r46.jpg

33a5j03.jpg

4iekxl.jpg

21j41m8.jpg

2gspfh3.jpg

33w2hk6.jpg

2jflqvq.jpg

2mywzl4.jpg

2pra4qx.jpg

r46.jpg

33a5j03.jpg

4iekxl.jpg

21j41m8.jpg

2gspfh3.jpg

33w2hk6.jpg

2jflqvq.jpg

2mywzl4.jpg

2pra4qx.jpg

r46.jpg

I like it, they can have those hidden in every room and you do not know where. But they do, Move it and see what happens. (if you dare)

Cool project Mike, I like it.

Thanks Dan.

I like it, they can have those hidden in every room and you do not know where. But they do, Move it and see what happens. (if you dare)

Thank you. Ain't that the truth. I have put them where I "thought" they went before only to throw off her entire system. Hell, I didn't even know she had a system.:grin big:

Mike.

Thanks Dan.

Thank you. Ain't that the truth. I have put them where I "thought" they went before only to throw off her entire system. Hell, I didn't even know she had a system.:grin big:

Mike.
Careful Mike , once they think you start to understand their system they change it .

It took me longer to clean off my lathe afterwards than it did to knock out this little project, but it sure brought a smile to wife's face. It's funny how a little 15-minute job like that can make a person's day. I told her it isn't everyone that has a kustom Chap-Stik lid.:lol:

Mike.

now you just need to make a bunch and anodise them different colours :) Perhaps make some that take a lanyard too..

Finished (I thought) my ER25 collet chuck last night - checked the taper then ground it with a dremel attachment
IMG_4477.JPG
super smooth and shiny
IMG_4487.JPG

runout at the face on a 3/8 or 14mm round was around 0.0005, which was great, but ~8thou 6in out, which wasn't. I need to do some investigating as to why.

I had a Chap Stick 'habit' for many (maybe 25) years so Mike's story hits home and brings a smile. I kicked the habit, cold turkey, in the mid 80's.

I have no other 'substance' abuse problems.

Wait a minute . . . no, tools aren't a 'substance'.

Quick little project that I addressed last night.
<snip>

Mike.
Absolutely SCHLICK!!!

... and of course, any time I notice there's an accumulation of any product in a container, I start to wonder what use I can make of the empty containers. Hmm ... holding small taps, maybe, or #0 or #2 nuts and bolts ... or maybe even miniature grease applicators ... ;~)

Back