2016 POTD Thread Archive

after 15 years I finally got a (1) dro on my mill..never really needed on for the stuff i do at home but it is nice to have..

went on pretty easy.. used the center existing bracket to mount the unit and removed the stops and used those to mount the end brackets.

pulled the vise for the second time in 15 years to..lol got it back straighter than it has ever been..i don't normally worry about it but the last thing i made came out worse than I thought, since it was a long piece with holes down the middle :-/

IMG_8674.JPG IMG_8675.JPG IMG_8676.JPG IMG_8677.JPG IMG_8678.JPG

I am happy that I do not live in a place where snow shoes are necessary — except in the middle of Summer.

We get the best of both worlds here - no snow in the "valley" for most of the winter and 10ft+ in the Blues about 45min drive away. I'd actually like to live somewhere that gets more snow, but ideally for no more than 3mths of the year. After a couple of months the novelty wears off and the whole snow thing gets a bit old :)

here are the finished pairs
IMG_4682.JPG

plus, I found another treadmill! woohoo! Now I just have to convince the wife to let me take it to pieces. the last one nearly killed her which helped, but it's a bit of a fine line to walk if I were to do it on purpose :D

Using my cnc mini mill to create some wooden feet to replace the plastic ones.

I would never bother but my wife's priorities are totaly different.
As they say if the wife is happy we all are!
IMG_20160316_245634178_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160316_245634178_HDR.jpg

tomorrow I will clean it polish and paint it to finish the job

Petros IMG_20160316_245719199_HDR.jpg

Needed 7 - 28 tooth #60 roller chain sprockets. At $20 each I thought I'd try making them. Took a LOT longer to draw than cut on the plasma table. Only 1/4 thick, think they should be about 3/8 but this is a low load slow situation so they should work.

IMG_2093.jpg

Greg

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

I think the coatings are more to stop the aluminium welding to the tool - it often forms a built-up edge which spoils the angles you've ground. Alternatives are to really POLISH the top surface of the cutter or to use a good cutting lubricant - I use a neat cutting oil, but even WD40 will do (in fact, it's about all it's good for!)

Dave H. (the other one)
yes if your talking about altin or tin coatings

PCD has excellent hardness and abrasion resistance
A PVD amorphous diamond coating which improves lubricity and wear resistance in non- ferrous materials
those are taken directly from Harvey tool

How can you navigate quicker through all the pages of this thread?

I'm trying to read them all from the beginning but jumping 2 pages at a time to get to the point you left off is a bit tedious!

You should see something like this once you click on the thread that you want to catch up on. Just click on 'Go to First Unread' and it will take you to where you left off.
Watch Thread Page 313 of 331 < Prev1311312313314315331Next >
Go to First Unread

Back