2016 POTD Thread Archive

heres a little update on the square I will be making. only thing with the render is that the copper color didn't quite show up like I had imagined, it will be colored much like my straightedge camelback, the hammered copper paint. All of the radii have been added as well as chamfers, missing is the pocket on the angled face that I will engrave my shop name or logo, not sure. yes that is a scraped image placed onto the model lol, actually my scrape work too
square.JPG square1.JPG square2.JPG

I’m in the (slow) process of making a sine plate for my mill, it’s the one with an aluminum bar big enough to rise above the jaws of the vise, with a flat plate recessed into it. I had started to mount the plate in the cut-out in the bar, and found I didn’t have a counter sink big enough for my 3/8 flathead screws. To make a long story short I made one (well it’s not hardened and drawn, but it’s ‘made.’

! started with a piece of 13/16 hot rolled 4140 2 ¼ long, turned the shank down to .500, and turned a 82º cone on the other end. I also took a skin cut to get under the hot rolled surface. I drilled out a ½ - 13 nut and put a set screw in it to make my Hex block.

I figured out that the 9/16 counter sink I had had been held in the mill at a 12º angle for milling the flutes, so I set my piece at that angle, shimming under it so it wouldn’t change angle (yeah, it did before I shimmed it.) Here’s a shot of it in process.

C Sink,1.jpg

And here it is still hot from the cutter, along side my 9/16 countersink that inspired the new one. I know, the center isn’t perfect, but it’s made to cut, not be pretty.

C Sink 2.jpg

I intend to harden it to cherry red, quench it in old motor oil and (having washed all the oil off) bake it in the oven at 450º for a while. I think I’ll do a little hand relieving and polishing on the cutting edge before I harden it.

Anyway, now I can countersink my 3/8 flat head screws.

that's awesome tom, love it. have you studied the process of hardening 4140? im sure you have....

have you studied the process of hardening 4140?

Hardening 4140, just checked, thanks for reminding me. Heat it cherry red, keep it there a bit. just don't quench right away. Agitate the oil, temper at 400º will result in 55 RC hardness, just fine for a countersink.

reason I asked is I had just looked myself a couple days ago and remembered there was a little more too it than just your standard O-1, looking forward to hearing the results, as well as seeing the tools cut

Back