2017 POTD Thread Archive

Made a small hammer with one aluminum end and the other steel for tapping things into place. While I was at it I made a second aluminum end for the future. Not the best finish but it works.

upload_2017-1-26_11-33-54.png

upload_2017-1-26_11-34-40.png

I needed a small spring for an end mill sharpener that's in the works but I didn't have one. So I Google spring making and gave it a stab, using some welding wire. To my amazement it worked. I don't know why but this really intrigued me. Even got my grandsons to make some.
upload_2017-1-26_11-37-47.png

upload_2017-1-26_11-38-48.png

Not a project but I had to show this somewhere and figured I would add it here. I also scored a deal at the tool store the other day. I was wandering around waiting for the salesman and noted some boxes of bolts on sale. One of them was 3/4" x 8" bolts and the sticker said $10. I ask the salesman if that was for the whole box or each. It was too much for one bolt and too little for the box. He checked with the owner and it was for the whole box. Here it is ......... 60 bolts for $10, less than scrap prices. I couldn't say no and got some boxes of other sizes too. Don't know what I will use them for but I now have a few.

upload_2017-1-26_11-42-55.png

Really coming together nicely. Wow! $100 for an oil feed, starting to sound like kunckle head parts. Might almost be tempted to machine the ends out of brass and solder in some copper tubing. Are you going to run the stock rear sprocket, or go a little bigger for more down low grunt. Mike

Actually, I do use the cheap 2.5x reading glasses while welding. I've often wondered if the cheater lens would work better. I know it would be more convenient, but not sure if it would actually help me see better. Now before anyone says it, I'm not THAT cheap, that I don't want to buy the lens to try it out, but I would also have to buy a new helmet. My HF helmet does not have anything on the inside to mount the cheater lens. Come to think of it, I guess using a HF helmet does make me cheap. Oh well, Anybody got any suggestions? JR49

I use a passive Jackson helmet with a Gold lens for TIG welding, but I have one of those Harbor Freight auto dark helmets in the shop. I just tried it and the cheater lens fits under the spring clip that holds the lens in the helmet. I attached a pic of the cheater lens in the HF helmet. I have done the reading glasses thing, but I prefer the cheater lens because the glasses would make me dizzy when i flipped up the hood and looked around the shop.

IMG_20170126_181232.jpg

Actually, I do use the cheap 2.5x reading glasses while welding. I've often wondered if the cheater lens would work better. I know it would be more convenient, but not sure if it would actually help me see better. Now before anyone says it, I'm not THAT cheap, that I don't want to buy the lens to try it out, but I would also have to buy a new helmet. My HF helmet does not have anything on the inside to mount the cheater lens. Come to think of it, I guess using a HF helmet does make me cheap. Oh well, Anybody got any suggestions? JR49
The HF hood is probably why you can't see. If you weld much get rid of it now! We have new hires come into the shop with them and they toss them with in the week. And prescription glasses help us old guys a lot.

Master of unfinished projects

What are your eyes worth?

I've heard that same question, "what's your head worth?) when buying a crash helmet and took it to heart by buying the best I could afford. At a minimum, stick with a well know company. They are your eyes and you only get one pair so take care of them.

I've heard that same question, "what's your head worth?) when buying a crash helmet and took it to heart by buying the best I could afford. At a minimum, stick with a well know company. They are your eyes and you only get one pair so take care of them.

^^^ This.... I think HF has a few worthwhile products, i.e. Tool chests, Impact gun, and a few other items but I don't trust my eyes to them. Buy a good helmet, it is well worth the investment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2nd the helmet as we did suffer injury from one.

Had burned whites of eyes so change in light that causes pupil to change is really bad situation.

Caused by reflective warning level inside along side of helmet that allowed light reflected from shirt to hit sides of eyes.

Got full price refund and got a real nice full view Lincoln or miller...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Just ordered one of these off of Amazon for $75 w/Prime Free ship
Normally $99.97
Had a 25% off coupon for it. woohoo
Lincoln Electric K4134-1 Lone STAR Auto Darkening Welding Helmet with Grind Mode

The HF hood is probably why you can't see. If you weld much get rid of it now! We have new hires come into the shop with them and they toss them with in the week. And prescription glasses help us old guys a lot.

Master of unfinished projects

I'm certainly not inferring that you guys are wrong about the HF helmet, BUT, please give me more info. Psychodelicdan, what is different about the HF hood that would make me not be able to see? Sanddan, I also see your point, BUT, lets face it, in this "Global economy", every one of us can site examples of paying 3X more for a "brand name" product, only to find out later that it was made in the same Off shore factory that the no name product was made in. Having said this, I must admit the HF hood is the only auto hood I've ever used, however I only got it after seeing a mechanic/welder for a large const. co. using one, and asking him about it. He told me he had been using it for a few years now and has had no problems. I don't do a lot of welding but when I have a project, I will sometimes weld for 6-8 hrs. straight, with cutting and fitting times in between of course. I always figured that since I have never suffered from the "sand in the eyes" type flash burns, at night, after a day of welding, then the hood is doing its job. BUT PLEASE, for the sake of my 67 year old eyes, if I'm wrong tell me how I'm wrong and, cheap or not, I will go right out and buy a more expensive Hood. Any, and All comments greatly appreciated. JR49

I'm certainly not inferring that you guys are wrong about the HF helmet, BUT, please give me more info. Psychodelicdan, what is different about the HF hood that would make me not be able to see? Sanddan, I also see your point, BUT, lets face it, in this "Global economy", every one of us can site examples of paying 3X more for a "brand name" product, only to find out later that it was made in the same Off shore factory that the no name product was made in. Having said this, I must admit the HF hood is the only auto hood I've ever used, however I only got it after seeing a mechanic/welder for a large const. co. using one, and asking him about it. He told me he had been using it for a few years now and has had no problems. I don't do a lot of welding but when I have a project, I will sometimes weld for 6-8 hrs. straight, with cutting and fitting times in between of course. I always figured that since I have never suffered from the "sand in the eyes" type flash burns, at night, after a day of welding, then the hood is doing its job. BUT PLEASE, for the sake of my 67 year old eyes, if I'm wrong tell me how I'm wrong and, cheap or not, I will go right out and buy a more expensive Hood. Any, and All comments greatly appreciated. JR49

I'm turning 65 next month and I have a heck of a time seeing when I weld. Big problem is that I wear bifocals and anything that restricts head movement messes with my vision. I have a higher end Miller helmet and I still cant see. Pretty bad when you lift the helmet and see a really nice looking weld but unfortunately its not on the joint. I have found that a bright halogen work light shining right on the area to be welded helps and the bigger the helmet lens is, the better. PS: How's your night vision? Been checked for cataracts?

Back