2017 POTD Thread Archive

Put a couple of curved skids on the front edge, That will help it glide over the ground with out digging in so. Depending on how you do it they will wear, If you weld them to the front edge they will just help keep it sliding long. If you put them under the front lip it will act like true skids and hold it off the ground a little, Thus able to suck stuff up in front as it goes. Help keep it from sucking down a bit. Just My 2Cents.

Not just today's project. Excepting various set screws and flat head screws, bushings, washers, gears and bearings, I've been making parts for about a month. I made a dozen of each part, then started assembling them.

These are Winders for model airplane rubber band motors. the aluminum tubes are 8 inch/ounce torque meters.

The winders, (the lower right one does not have a torque meter) take eight pieces. With the oillite bushings, I have to ream the bushings with an adjustable reamer, even with drilling the side plates in a drill jig in pairs, there are tiny mis-alignment problems. I've found that a drop of oil on each bushing will increase the friction about 20%.The gearing give the output shaft 10X.

The torque meters take nine pieces. Both ends must be a snug (but not tight) fit in the tube, The output shaft must be free to turn but with no slop in the bushings, the spring must be captive on each end.

Four winders sm.jpg

It doesn't seem to matter, no matter how freely the winder turns before I attach the torque meter, there is considerable resistance once the meter is on.

Nice! Those are for indoor free flight? Where do you get supplies? ISTR Peck Polymers went out of business.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Where do you get supplies?

The handle covers come from RubberDynamics.

To the best of my knowledge the winders are used outdoors, free flight. I'm told the torque is too high for Indoor. I don't fly, just make parts and pieces. We are working on (considering) an indoor lighter torque meter. also one that readout is digital, not spinning around.

Last night I finished machining the QCTP base to fit my compound t-slot. I used the lathe for all operations, hence the round boss in the center. I've been using a SCTP (Slow Change Tool Post, also known as turret tool post) for about 5 years and I can't wait to start using this QCTP.

Base as supplied:
7656.jpg

7664.jpg

7668.jpg

7671.jpg

POTD of sorts, however did not involve my workspace but it did require me to be there with tools being used on me. Backstory: last November I had my left shoulder and all associated tendons repaired leading to a very painful recovery for the first 7-8 weeks. By mid-January, I was able to do a little more for myself and while in the shower I noticed/felt a small pointy lump over the anterior/lateral portion of my left clavicle. I see my Orthopedic once per month since October and addressed it with him during my January visit. He really wasn't too concerned at the time and stated it was the head of one of two "pins" (screws) used to secure the Acromion which had been remodeled (reduced) clearance for those tendons running under it. By February the swelling had gone down and the lump was now .625 in height forming a cone base of .750+. It also became more painful with the use of a seatbelt, backpack or any other strap that came in contact with the area. He wanted to leave it in for six months to allow the area to heal and calcify as one. Well, after requesting to see the x-rays, I was left scratching my head as to why he used a screw that was clearly much longer compared to the screw that was driven in next to it. He stated the screw was backing out yadda, yadda, yadda ...
Yesterday I went in to have the "BOLT" removed and was prepared for some pain afterwords but to my surprise I didn't have enough discomfort to warrant any medication. Surprising to me since he asked me if I needed any Oxycodone at my Pre-Op a week ago. I stopped taking those damn things at week 5 as they made me sick and "plugged up".

Orthoscopic (closed surgery) has its place IMO, but lacks the "overview" of work preformed to an area that requires multiple repairs. My surgeon is not a rookie by any means as his exam room walls are filled with certifications and accolades specializing in Orthoscopics. Like any professions, sometimes we need to think "outside the box", We do do this throughout the day in our lives and in our shops. When you try to engage this conversation with Surgeons, they look at you like your a knuckelhead. His last words to me at the Pre-Op "bring your insurance card and $500 deductible" My replay was "I want the screw". He said "why"? I responded that it was going to be screwed into my shop wall next to the alarm panel, this way I could remind myself " NOT TO DO ANYTHING STUPID" (including using the correct hardware heheheh) resulting in a injury.

The screw: T-W2YGE4- ACE-36mm (1.417") IMG_0866.JPG
I share this as a reminder to all that we need to ask more questions from strangers that preform invasive procedures on us and love ones. If you have non-typical tears, ruptures or other damage, then perhaps an open surgery is a better option BTW, my Bicep rupture repair (what brought me in to the ER) failed 3 week post surgery.

Food for thought....If you had your truck/car in to a trusted mechanic for an engine rebuild and after the work you notice poor performance. You confirm the compression is low and take it back in. They admit they used the wrong piston rings and have the balls to charge you again. Why do MD's have the right to do this to us. In the end, It was my choice to have the screw removed as he recommended I live with it. The problem is I have four years left in my firefighting career and the SCBA pack would not allow me to focus on the task at had without distracting pain.
Take charge of your health my friends!
Turn and burn.
Paco

Last edited by a moderator:
An urgent shop repair. Last evening the switch on the mill fell apart. I have only had this mill a couple of months. The seller purchased it new in 2000. I think the stress of the screw to hold this onto the shaft finally broke the hard plastic.

Mill_switch_original_broken_7738.jpg

The front of the switch showing the 1/4in square shaft.

Mill_switch_shaft_7739.jpg

I may have been able to get a replacement switch at a local hardware store. Overnight I decided to try making a replacement from a scrap piece of cherry wood.

I drilled a 1/4in dia hole, then used 1/4in chisel to make the hole square.

Mill_switch_wood_replacement_7740.jpg

A nice snug fit, tapped onto the shaft. I may add a set screw if this comes loose over time. Off position.

Mill_switch_Off_7741.jpg

On (Forward) position. I now prefer this over the original, much easier to turn off. I can just flip this down without needing to grasp the switch. The original switch needed to be grasped. Not difficult, I just like the new method of operation.

The mill is back to normal operation.

Mill_switch_On_7742.jpg

I had my clavicle screwed back together with self taper SS screws , 8weeks later he cut were the screw heads were and unscrewed them with his dewalt cordless drill (ouch) was not pleasant.

Dumb motorcycle
This was in Tucson in late 90s

POTD of sorts, however did not involve my workspace but it did require me to be there with tools being used on me. Back story, last November I had my left shoulder and all associated tendons repaired leading to a very painful recovery for the first 7-8 weeks. By mid-January, I was able to do a little more for myself and while in the shower I noticed/felt a small pointy lump over the anterior/lateral portion of my left clavicle. I see my Orthopedic once per month since October and addressed it with him during my January visit. He really wasn't too concerned at the time and stated it was the head of one of two "pins" (screws) used to secure the Acronym witch had been remodeled (reduced) clearance for those tendons running under it. By February the swelling had gone down and the lump was now .625 in hight forming a cone base of .750+. It also became more painful with the use of a seatbelt, backpack or any other strap that came in contact with the area. He wanted to leave it in for six months to allow the area to heal and calcify as one. Well, after requesting to see the x-rays, I was left scratching my head as to why he used a screw that was clearly much longer compared to the screw that was driven in next to it. He stated the screw was backing out yada, yada ...
Yesterday I went in to have the "BOLT" removed and was prepared for some pain afterwords but to my surprise I didn't have enough discomfort to warrant any medication. Surprising to me since he asked me if I needed any Oxycodone at my Pre-Op a week ago. I stopped taking those damn things at week 5 as they made me sick and "plugged up".

Orthoscopic (closed surgery) has its place IMO, but lacks the "over view" of work preformed to an area that requires multiple repairs. My surgeon is not a rookie by any means as his exam room walls are filled with certifications and accolades specializing in Orthoscopics. Like any professions, sometimes we need to think "outside the box", We do do this throughout the day in our lives and in our shops. When you try to engage this conversation with Surgeons, they look at you like your a knuckelhead. His last words to me at the Pre-Op "bring your insurance card and $500 deductible" My replay was "I want the screw". He said "why"? I responded that it was going to be screwed into my shop wall next to the alarm panel, this way I could remind myself " NOT TO DO ANYTHING STUPID" (including using the correct hardware heheheh) resulting in a injury.

The screw: T-W2YGE4- ACE-36mm (1.417") View attachment 233691
I share this as a reminder to all that we need to ask more questions from strangers that preform invasive procedures on us and love ones. If you have non-typical tears, ruptures or other damage, then perhaps an open surgery is a better option BTW, my Bicep rupture repair (what brought me in to the ER) failed 3 week post surgery.

Food for thought....If you had your truck/car in to a trusted mechanic for an engine rebuild and after the work you notice poor performance. You confirm the compression is low and take it back in. They admit they used the wrong piston rings and have the balls to charge you again. Why do MD's have the right to do this to us. In the end, It was my choice to have the screw removed as he recommended I live with it. The problem is I have four years left in my firefighting career and the SCBA pack would not allow me to focus on the task at had without distracting pain.
Take charge of your health my friends!
Turn and burn.
Paco

Paco, glad to hear your procedure went well and you experience less pain and discomfort than you expected. That is ALWAYS a nice surprise.

Glad you are feeling better my friend.

Mike.

Back