7.62 X 39 Bolt action

rennie

Active User
Registered
Has anyone out there built a 7.62 X 39 bolt action rifle? What size bolt action would you use? Are there any threads on this?? I have a 10" Atlas lathe.:think1:I would just like to build one. I have a SKS and like the round, and would like to add another toy to my collection. The SKS is good on the hogs that I have taken down.

You're in luck.
http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=44072.msg611423#msg611423
http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=28956.msg391641#msg391641
http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=39811.msg552319#msg552319

I've been told (but have no first hand knowledge) that you can set the factory .303 British barrel back a certain amount and fire the Russian round in it with no rechambering necessary. Apparently the British and the Russian rounds are almost identical from a certain point on the .303 round to the case mouth.

I have rebarreled Italian Carcano's as the rim size it the same. They shoot well even with .308 bores. Rugers have .308 bores I hear.
Easy job. Iron sights or peeps only as they load with enblock clips from the top. Several coyotes has not survived their meeting with my little IC rifle.Hehehehe

I'm tempted to pick up one of those mini-mauser Zastiva's in 30 Russian. Sounds like a fun project tho. :thinking:

Please be careful about giving information you have no personal knowledge of. It is not safe,and could lead to a serious accident,like getting blinded by escaping high pressure gas,gun blowing up,etc..

I have no knowledge of? Do you know me? I think you sir do not know just what I know. I've been gunsmithing for 30+ years and have both of my eyes and all my fingers.

The moderating team isn't trying to disparage anyone, but merely concerned about safety. They want to keep everyone on here safe. Thanks for understanding.

George is making a policy statement not aimed particularly at anyone, but we have decided we should be very cautious about what is presented on the gunsmith sub-forum. We recognize that we have experienced, trained professional smiths among us, and we are glad there are. But the liability for any bad advice, regardless of where it comes from, is is too high to be acceptable.

Sometimes the words may not come out just right, or may not sound right to us, but please try to understand that the motivation is simply to protect the innocent. And protect the site from liability. It is definitely not personal, so please keep that in mind, and work with us.

As for suitable actions - I am building a 7.62 x 39 on a type 38 (6.5) Arisaka. I had a carbine that had been rechambered by someone to 6.5 X .257, but the chamber was botched (You could actually chamber an empty 7mm Mauser case! ) I cut the barrel and found a 7.62 x 39 barrel from a CZ527 on ebay that I am stubbing into the cut off Arisaka barrel. The barrel was to small diameter to use without the stub and the stub keeps you from having to cut the breeching and extractor cutout. Going slow - this is a long term project that I work on a little at a time when I feel like it. For a while I saw several CZ527 7.62 x 39 barrels on ebay, but I haven't looked for a while. I think i gave about $40 for mine, with sights.

Please excuse my rudeness. I am not that kind of person most of the time. That said,I do have limits and I've learned a new one.
PS: FYI : I do know what I'm doing. Just trying to pass on some of the accumulated knowledge before I check off this mortal coil.
Lewis Wright Geologist/gunsmith

Back