7.62 X 39 Bolt action

Cactus Farmer, Check out how the Finns modify a Nagant bolt on the 27/76 target rifle to fit the diopter sight. It's a shooter.

Bob
20140117_071107_resized.jpg20140117_071126_resized.jpg
The only trick to the peeps is the bolt need to be modified for the handle to clear the the sight. I build a set of blocks to forge the handle on an "Type I" Jap rifle that the fellow wanted scoped. I make the mounts out of steel and charged him a LARGE amount of money to build
the mounts. It came out great in the end and he is very happy with the gun. The Type I is a Carcano with a Mauser type magazine box.
Neat but they only made 40,000 of them and that was 1937-39. I'd bet a few are on the bottom of the south Pacific.

20140117_071107_resized.jpg 20140117_071126_resized.jpg

Hey, that looks good. I build a set of forging blocks to bend/modify the Jap Type I and figured I'd never use them again but I needed to build them good anyway. Now here is another use for these blocks.
I don't particularly like the en-block clips the Carcanos use but the actions are way better than I was lead to believe. The action is slick, the safety is a little odd but to field strip the bolt takes 3-4 seconds. There needs to be a block installed to made the feeding foolproof and I haven't had my moment of insight yet. There is some slick way to do this that will be easy and functional too.
I've even thought about re-barreling them with a modern .264 barrel and going back to 6.5x52 original caliber. It is a good cartridge and now that Prvi Partizan is making the ammo/brass I think It would be a good project.
I'm leaving the stock as I got it. All Bubba'd up. It's a tool not art. I do intend to blue the tube and maybe the action too but the wood is functional enough. The yotes don't know the difference. If anyone else wants one I can gussy it up to the level they want to pay for.
I'm planning to play with cast boolits too,just to make shooting it cheaper. Now that is hard to do when the Russians make the steel cased hollow points for $300 a thousand. The cast can be loaded down to be quieter and not so destructive on eatable targets.

I've always had good service from Green Mountain for new barrels. Good prices too.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/

The company was recently purchased by a few very gun-savvy people and the web site is going through transition. You can call and get the latest info on their products if the site doesn't show what you're looking for.

It has the same case head diameter as the 220 Russian, which is the parent case for the PPC cartridge. Many people have used a PPC in a standard Remington 700 with no bolt mods, but every now and then there is a failure to pull the case. There are many custom actions made for the PPC case, some use a sliding plate extractor, some use a SAKO extractor. One can easily install a SAKO extractor in a Remington bolt, and it will reliably work with both the .440 and .473 cases.

Last edited:
Here is my Mosin project 1943 numbers matching Russian

Now has scope and scope mount on it, trigger job is done, and have fired 50 rounds through it and have cleaned the bore and lapped it. It is perfect now. I am cutting it to 19" next week and threading the end for my muzzle break.
9130 Russian Mosin.jpg

9130 Russian Mosin.jpg

The Carcano and the Mosin Nagant are kind of like Rodney Dangerfield: they can't get no respect. Partly because they are cheap and partly because they are perceived as crude and even un-safe. I have 2 Carcanos 1 i got on a bundled trade where the guy just through it in and the other was like 60 bucks and i liked the sporter stock. The were both sporterized. I shot them both they shot ok the en-block clips were a pia and they both had extraction issues. They went to the back of the stack.

I have on and off thought about a 7.62x39 bolt action rifle for me it would be to punch paper and evaluate surplus ammo and reloads. I have a rasheed 7.62x39 that has really impressed me and my son has some ak variants. We like to have a little competition.

If i did a conversion on one of the carcanos i would modify the bolt handle in the manner the Finns did in the photos of my 28/76 target rifle, and scope centered over the bore. This leaves the barrel choice. I mentioned use a mosin nagant barrel and looking at case dimensions it would need to be set back by approximately an inch and a half to re-chamber for 7.62x39. I have almost never seen a russian 91/30 that had a bore the wasn't both over sized and frosted. On the other hand many of the finnish nagants have tikka, sako and VKT barrel are mostly very good to mint. The finnish rifles have tighter bores and i think thats where i am headed with this.

I bought my lathe last year in anticipation of being able to do just this type of project. In the past i have done an 03 springfield to .243 and three Czech mausers 22-250, .243 and 8mm (military contour). These were all short chambered barrels i finnish reamed by hand. The results in terms of accuracy were very good. Last year i had a swedish mauser re-barreled with a Lothar Walther millitary contour barrel that came long chambered so i had to send it out, it shoots great but the satisfaction is not the same. I like and appreciate sport rifles a lot but i love milsurp rifles. So i will probably have to get a carcano stock thats not cut.

Bob

Thanks,
can anyone answer the question I asked?????????????????:anyone:

I have a small ring Mauser that I bought from an ad in shotgun news. It is rebarreled with a .308 barrel and chambered for a .30 x 39. Have to neck size 7.62x39 brass. I have a set of redding dies made for this cartridge. It is very accurate.

Just noticed this thread. I bought a mini mauser several years ago in 7.62X39. I rechambered it in 270X39AI. An excellent and very accurate kids deer rifle. It is now being redone in 220Beggs(Russian). The new World Record 5 shot group is a 30PPC, which is a basically 7.62X39AI. The 5 shot group size is .007".
Pictured below is my mini mauser
24onfvt.jpg
18n8g8.jpg
They stock and rust blue should be completed in the next month.

Please be careful about giving information you have no personal knowledge of. It is not safe,and could lead to a serious accident,like getting blinded by escaping high pressure gas,gun blowing up,etc..
Swampdoc here. Yep. I personally had that to happen once. Things fitting not quite right can come apart on you, even very mild cartridges can become bombs in some instances. I learned my lesson with only powder burns in both eyes.

Back