7.62 X 39 Bolt action

I was not referring to you,Cactus farmer. The person I referred to said"I have no first hand knowledge". I am trying to keep colloquial knowledge,folk lore and 2nd or 3rd. hand information from being used on this forum as guns are a subject that deserves more careful dispersal of information than some others.

Since I repeated his use of the word "knowledge", I don't know why you assumed I was referring to you. Sorry for the mixup. I tried to not be very direct with anyone in order to avoid offending first hand. That didn't work out too well.

I cannot know everyone,but an admission of not having direct knowledge gives me a clue that the info might be open to question.. That is the position I am in here.

We just got done with the "Hardening" thread, in which a bunch of incorrect info was offered,so I am keeping an eye on info offered in this forum so someone doesn't get injured or shot.

Last edited:
I was not referring to you,Cactus farmer. The person I referred to said"I have no first hand knowledge". I am trying to keep colloquial knowledge,folk lore and 2nd or 3rd. hand information from being used on this forum as guns are a subject that deserves more careful dispersal of information than some others.

Since I repeated his use of the word "knowledge", I don't know why you assumed I was referring to you. Sorry for the mixup. I tried to not be very direct with anyone in order to avoid offending first hand. That didn't work out too well.

I cannot know everyone,but an admission of not having direct knowledge gives me a clue that the info might be open to question.. That is the position I am in here.

We just got done with the "Hardening" thread, in which a bunch of incorrect info was offered,so I am keeping an eye on info offered in this forum so someone doesn't get injured or shot.

I knew the comment was directed to my post, and I understand the Moderator's responsibilities better than most. I take no personal insult from the warning, but to call it lore or hearsay is incorrect. If you look at the SAAMI dimensions of both cartridges, you will see the similarities. These conversions are common practice on many other forums and have been successful and are completely safe.

I prefaced my comment simply to let the OP know that I cannot answer any questions about the conversion right now, although I do plan such a conversion soon and will gladly document the build.

Again, I take no offense, but it is a sound conversion.

I didn't say it was lore. I was just naming a few different categories of "misinformation" that are not really suitable for taking as gospel on gun work. Lore is more like the "Super Quench" making mild steel hard enough to make a steel cutting chisel out of. And,it certainly isn't a good way to try to make a trigger sear from mild steel.

Your statement that you have no direct or first hand knowledge makes it "2nd. hand " knowledge. Maybe 3rd. hand,etc.. We have no idea where the info came from. You said you "were told" By whom? We can't know by whom or his competency level. No mention of SAAMI was made. Now you come back and offer documentation that would best have been offered in the first place. Do you see the doubt this causes?

If you have actual documentation that something is true,so state it. Better yet,name your sources. Otherwise,we have no way of knowing how expert you are with that knowledge. Or,maybe save up your post until you have facts to give. That would really be best.

I hope this is the last I will hear from this communications foul up that I am not responsible for. This sort of thing could lead to posts having to be cleared by a moderator before they are posted as we are dealing with an inherently dangerous subject.

Both of you have not been reading my posts carefully enough,apparently.

I hope this post does not sound harsh. It was not written with harshness in mind. I am trying to keep gun information given here as safe as possible,that is all. .

Last edited:
:headache:Hey Guys,

I did not mean to start a cat fight. I was just asking which action to use to build a 7.62 X 39 decent bolt action rifle. I am sorry I caused such a headache. All of your comments have still not answered my question. My apologies to the moderator....

Thanks,
can anyone answer the question I asked?????????????????:anyone:

Thanks,
can anyone answer the question I asked?????????????????:anyone:

Post #2 gives some good links. Take a look.

I don't know how this thread got so out of hand. You guys have fun building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feel free to post,Rick. This was just a mis communication,not a big problem.

I agree. I guess I asked the question the wrong way?? Who knows? Any way thanks guys I am gonna sleep on it tonight and watch the sun come up in the morning

Thanks again

Rennie:allgood::happyhappy:

I agree. I guess I asked the question the wrong way?? Who knows? Any way thanks guys I am gonna sleep on it tonight and watch the sun come up in the morning

Thanks again

Rennie:allgood::happyhappy:
Rennie,
The 7.62x39 doesn't operate at super high pressures a good short bolt action would work well. I am partial to husky model 38. The later versions already had the bolt handle turned down making scoping a lot easier. Hope this helps some. The 7.62 x 39 is also a nice caliber in a single shot.

Back