8530 Gloat

calstar

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Very happy, found this on CL 1.5 miles from my house. This is basically an "as new" Clausing 8530 from the original owner (1972)with a oem vise and dividing head(which is unused), and an Anilam xy dro(new in 1984, anyone heard of it?). Original owners manual for both and Clausing test report for this mill, #010127. . You may have seen my other threads here on a 8530 with power feed I got awhile back that I'm rebuilding(so now I have two 8530s!), going to sell that and keep this. I'll be picking it up tomorrow, here are a few pics, probably more to follow.

Brian

82 year old seller John, he was really happy someone got it who appreciates it(probably almost as happy as I am!)
IMG_7273_zpsy2ehv8d5.jpg

not a scratch on it, he has removed the table handles and put protective foam on the shafts, the handles are all there
IMG_7264_zpsxxhxwzou.jpg

OEM unused dividing head, plates, and tailstock bought new with the mill
IMG_7268_zpsnijffxiv.jpg

Clausing vise with rotating base, also purchased new with mill
IMG_7267_zpsjlpz9kab.jpg

dro on table, you can see the black mounting arm on the right
IMG_7272_zpsnultlkcz.jpg

Last edited:
Great find. I would love to have one of those. But around here when one comes up It isn't in near that shape and thay wan't more than a bridge port. And a BP is just to big for my shop.

.... around here when one comes up It isn't in near that shape and thay wan't more than a bridge port. And a BP is just to big for my shop.

Santa Barbara is pretty much a desert as far as machinery goes, I drove 300+ miles to get my first 8530 so I got really, really lucky this time . When he posted it he made a mistake and put it on a CL about 100 miles from here, he had a few responses but they didn't leave a phone # so he didn't respond. It was listed for 3 days(hard to believe it was still available!!!) before I saw it, one guy came to look but didn't know what it was, not interested when he saw it. When I saw it I immediately emailed him with my #, he called about 15min later, I drove the 4 minutes to his place and bought it. Super nice guy, he only used it to machine aluminum for radio controlled model sailboats(mast height around 4').

Brian

Nicest looking and complete Clausing mill I have ever seen, including my own

That's a simply awesome find.

where is the <awe-struck> emoticon? That is one heck of a find.

Santa Barbara isn't exactly the machine tool capital of the world. I lived there for over 10 years (the 90's +). As a matter of fact, it may be a felony to own anything more menacing than a bench top drill press in the SB city limits.

I hope you offered remove that collection of materials, shown in the pic, for little or no charge.

I see what look like coolant trays for a Baldor carbide grinder leaning against the wall at the photo lower right. Make this guy your new best friend. It could be a synergistic relationship.
On edit; After looking closer, that is a carbide grinder to the right of the Clausing. You need that also. Hurry!!!

I'm soooo jealous.

What is the spindle taper (B & S #7 ?)?

...that is a carbide grinder to the right of the Clausing.
...What is the spindle taper (B & S #7 ?)?

You have good eyes, it is a Baldor carbide grinder. I'm also always looking in the background of pics to see what goodies may lurk. There is a possibility I can get a few more items from him, but whenever he's ready to let them go, I won't try to encourage him to sell until he is good and ready.

As far as becoming friends with him I feel we are off to a good start, he's a great guy, an experienced machinist and lives practically next door, whats not to like! (we've already talked about him visiting my modest little shop space). The spindle is a MT2, all the 8520s and 30s are MT2, the 8525s and 35s are B&S. I'm still marveling how I lucked into this little beauty!

Thanks to all for the nice comments, Brian

Couple more pics of getting ready to move it, removed motor,head, etc, going to do the move this thurs. Sorta boring pics but since I "document" my machine tools anyway thought I'd stick 'em here. Also shown is the the test report for this mill and parts list/diagram of the vise.

IMG_7276_zpsjfgczre2.jpg

IMG_7278_zpstospkdv3.jpg

IMG_7279_zpsemuhrajw.jpg

IMG_7280_zpswmw1b5zp.jpg

IMG_7281_zps9bbucfcx.jpg

congrats Calstar, I'm pumped that it went to a member on here! Couldn't have wished for a better outcome. And I hope I look that spry when I'm 82 :)

I had no idea what an Anilam dro(made in USA) was, checked ebay and even though its 31 year old technology two of the same model(with scales) are listed at $1200 and $1300, wow, now all I have to do is learn how to use it, that and the dividing head which I have never owned/used. This was without a doubt the machine score of my life, lucky, lucky, lucky!!

And if you think that was lucky, read on. I brought the mill home today in its entirety, sorta doing a shop rearrangement to make the most out of my limited space. When moving my mill/drill to a modified base it sits on(at the end of today, tired, evidently not thinking clearly, prime time for an accident) the entire frigging thing flipped over in a microsecond on the chain hoist holding it, a miracle neither I nor my friend was hurt(or worse), now that was real luck, must of had some real karma built up!! Very humbling to say the least. More on this very preventable accident(aka save your ass) in another thread soon to come.

Be safe everyone, Brian

Last edited:
Back