About to fab up an arbor press stand.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I am thinking about a press stand. I checked out quite a number of stands on HM. I am going to be using some bed frames that I collect when I see them as cheap (no cost) angle irons. I know some of you will tell me how crappy the metal is... not a problem eyes wide open.

I was thinking about making a swing leg out front so when I need to use the press I have some tip over support. Looking at this (see pic) from a weight lifting bench with a leg lift piece. Thinking this can swing 90* so it sticks out when I need it... Anyone ever do this? Not sure how much pressure would be pushed into this.. it's a 2 ton press, but certainly not 2 tons of pressure is transmitted forward (tipping).

PXL_20240402_205651950.jpg

In my opinion, an arbor press stand should be bolted to the floor; luckily, mine came with a cast iron stand, it did not take long to realize that it needed to be bolted down, to tippy otherwise.

I have a 3 ton press, in need of a stand. One thing I've discovered is the need for greater opening height. Particularly when broaching. I'm considering a design with a support for the work below the press to gain Z. The supporting stand needs to have an "U" opening for shafts to hang in for bearing pressing.

In my opinion, an arbor press stand should be bolted to the floor; luckily, mine came with a cast iron stand, it did not take long to realize that it needed to be bolted down, to tippy otherwise.
so in your opinion adding a leg that supports out front won't work to prevent the tipping?

Check out the recent video from This Old Tony, where he makes a stand to hold down his arbor press.
The end result still looks kind of top-heavy, and I guess would be prone to tip, but his floor plate does have the bolt holes.

I did see that and am considering the toothless mod
I did that but the better mod is the one MrWhoppee did where the the pinion moves over and reengages instead. The extension that needs to be installed to reclock the pinion also has a handwheel. i also have a stand with ample foot out front and an extension shelf. Mine is on a stand with my vise on the back and I have inserts in the floor if I need to hold it down. Bit so far the only time this are needed is if I’m using a cheater bar. Which I don’t need to do because I have my 22 H frame screw press instead of a cheater.

I'm not sure I want to pull the pinion each time. I'll think about that also.

Yeah, it’s sounds kinda weird, but I hated guessing where I was reclocking with the missing teeth. The reclocking with the pinion is super quick. I have a collar that stays on the shaft and just pull it quick and move the pinion.

Last edited:
I guess I can try that first it won't require any mods in its most simplistic form.

Back