About to fab up an arbor press stand.

Ok, that was easy. The shaft on the end was the size of a 6203 bearing I think, didn't look. Just grabbed it thinking it would fit. I had an old frozen one by the presses for assisting. drilled and tapped the shaft for a 5/16 - 18, made an aluminum sleeve to match the bearing and screw.
Easy The only thing I might change is making a cover to protect the end of the shaft from dust/dirt/grit so it doesn't chew up the bore.
PXL_20240403_185200358.jpgPXL_20240403_192535028.jpg

after prepping all the angle from the bed frames removing rivets, and legs... I had started to move a lot of stuff out of the way in my storage area. This is winding up being a use it or lose it type of cleaning as well. Figuring out whether I need it or not.
I had this stand, it's from a metal cutting band saw that I bought, that well, is awful. it has too many problems. It had a reducer to cut the speed down, but it also was cast aluminum (the frame of the vertical band saw) and it had cracks. So I had been planning on rebuilding it, but the reality is probably not. This was the base it was on. And after clamping the arbor press to it, and putting all my weight on it, its solid. I may mount it on the other side and cut a hole in it for the shafts, or something else. I don't know. I do know that I can put something else on it too. Maybe my hydraulic bench mounted press, or maybe something else. Or maybe I make the stand. Right now still figuring it out. That PVC will protect the added on piece so dirt does not get in... I'll probably mount some leather to the washer to seal the pvc.
PXL_20240405_021238732.jpgPXL_20240405_021232065.jpg

trying to figure out what the tubes do, and why? Certainly they don't add more length, unless the gear is put on the tube and the shaft is pressed in..
Quite an interesting stand.

trying to figure out what the tubes do, and why? Certainly they don't add more length, unless the gear is put on the tube and the shaft is pressed in..
Quite an interesting stand.
I believe they take the place of the daisy wheel for longer stuff, like support a bearing while a longer shaft is pressed into it.

I believe they take the place of the daisy wheel for longer stuff, like support a bearing while a longer shaft is pressed into it.
I had to do a similar thing when I needed more clearance under my arbor press. It was a temporary piece of pipe tacked to the stand. I ended up just making a shelf under mine that the daisy wheel sat on. Added another 5” to clearance.

There is so much there and I’m sure a bunch more would come out if you could see it put through it’s paces. Like is that a lift for the tube stand and why? They mention snowmobile work. Is this for a bunch of different models or do they have a bunch of different things to press like bogies for the drive track that propels them? Or the links in the drive track? Sorry, I don’t know what parts of snowmobiles are called.

I added a protective condom to the output shaft.
I turned the inside of a piece of pvc at a slight taper to match the casting.
Added a piece of leather and another washer.
I oiled it (mistake) , oil causes the leather to pucker, so don't oil it. I figured it would help it ... don't
It now protects the output shaft from dust and debris since the shaft was never designed to be exposed. Although the oiler holes are exposed.
Thanks to those that recommended this over cutting the teeth.
PXL_20240405_163624805.jpg
PXL_20240405_163608520.jpgPXL_20240405_163613712.jpg

I have a frame that hangs down ftom my little arbor press table and cross pins at 6-ish places to allow running a 12" long hex broach. Works great!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Back