About to fab up an arbor press stand.

The Dake 3ton I picked up recently came on an incredibly solid stand, made of a large pics of c channel (8 or 10” wide) upside down with thick angle iron legs and a shelf underneath tying it all together. Wish I had a pick, it’s not in my new garage yet. I’m guessing it weighs strong 100lbs

I just tied mine to a wall, not going anywhere.

And for those who haven't seen it, here is the mod that @C-Bag was referring to.
I can't take credit for it, but I can't remember where I saw. it.

Arbor Press mod.jpg

I really don't have the option of tying to the wall. No exposed studs, and I don't want to use a lag bolt to hold it. I might consider drilling the floor if needed. I think I am going to see how this foot works. I like that mod @MrWhoopee , does it ever pull out of the rack on it's own, when you don't want it to?

I really don't have the option of tying to the wall. No exposed studs, and I don't want to use a lag bolt to hold it. I might consider drilling the floor if needed. I think I am going to see how this foot works. I like that mod @MrWhoopee , does it ever pull out of the rack on it's own, when you don't want it to?
No, the pinion is straight cut and the operator is pulling on the handle while standing to the left of it, so any lateral forces are inward.

For anyone considering an Arbore Press, seems like the versions with a ratcheting mechanism on the lever and a hand wheel on the opposite side to position the ram make the press much easier to use. Some of the "Old Iron" US made ones have a lot more vertical clearance.

I did the Whoopee mod to my cheap press...wow, it's terrific. I think it's way better than the missing teeth variant. In actual practice, tipping is not a major problem, as I'm normally doing smaller more delicate operations on my 1 ton press. I made a couple bench dogs that hold the back of the press down when needed. For more suds, I go to the HF hydraulic press.

Here's the stand I made for my Greenerd 3B (3 ton) arbor press. It's just 2" x 2' x 1/4" angle iron. It's never been bolted down in the 25 years I've had it. I use it regularly to press on and off bearings, press fit parts, and broach keyways. It weighs 335 lbs. according to the Greenerd catalog.

Attachments

• DSC00034.JPG
    DSC00034.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 29
so in your opinion adding a leg that supports out front won't work to prevent the tipping?

Not a single leg—maybe two legs on each side of where you are standing.

I can’t drill holes in my shop’s heated floor, so two legs to counteract tipping will be my strategy.

Rick “a project for this year” Denney

Could you attach the stand to a forward protruding steel plate at the floor level to act as an outrigger?

For anyone considering an Arbore Press, seems like the versions with a ratcheting mechanism on the lever and a hand wheel on the opposite side to position the ram make the press much easier to use. Some of the "Old Iron" US made ones have a lot more vertical clearance.
you are right, but those old iron ratchet presses are somehow super expensive IMHO. I was able to do the WhoppeeMod with just scraps at hand and mod my 2ton for $0.

Back