Advice on Which Brand to Choose

StudioMachinist

Registered
Registered
I'm doing lots of research on my next mill and the RF-25/RF-31 are on my list. The only other brand I'm familiar with that is selling clones is Jet (JMD-15/JMD-18) and maybe Grizzly but I can't be sure theirs is actually made in Taiwan. If buying new, what brands selling these models provide good customer service?

I'm doing lots of research on my next mill and the RF-25/RF-31 are on my list. The only other brand I'm familiar with that is selling clones is Jet (JMD-15/JMD-18) and maybe Grizzly but I can't be sure theirs is actually made in Taiwan. If buying new, what brands selling these models provide good customer service?
According to Penn Tool ( a retailer), you can get a Taiwanese RF31 for $3300, or a China-made one for $3000. If they're otherwise the same specs, then I'd gladly pay $300 extra for NMIC. Actually my rule is "ABC", anywhere but China.

I think Grizzly tells you the country of origin if you ask, but the answer is practically always China. How they can get away with not including that info on the webpage is a mystery. Apparently, it's legal, but still more than a bit sleazy. Not singling out Grizzly here, it's the same all over. Amazon, Home Depot and others sometimes tell you but most often not.

Sorry mine is old, bought used, so I have no advice on customer service.

It used to be required by law to identify the country of manufactute. Apparently no longer.

Rong Fu shows the Jet machine on their website so you can be pretty sure it's legit and not a "clone". FWIW, "clones" aren't necessarily a bad thing, lots of machine tool designs have been copied by very good manufacturers.

But, there are so many of these machines out there that getting a good used one should be possible for a lot less than new.

The MSC one lists for $2675 which is about $1775 more than I paid for my Harbor Freight RF30 clone which was built in Taiwan. Honestly, for $3k you can get a pretty decent used Bridgeport clone which will be light years ahead of the RF30.

If you have to go with new, forum sponsor Precision Matthews has some pretty good options in the price range and their customer service is well regarded.

Their Taiwan built machines will set you back more but the China built ones seem to be a step above what the other sellers offer.

You'll get lots of advice here but honestly for the money I wouldn't think of getting a new RF31. Here's a package not far from you.

John

I would not recommend any of those mills, overpriced and a poor choice if you primarily want a mill. RF quality is not what it use to be, I recall several posts on the RF45 purchases from MSC that were disappointing with regard to the fit and finish. If I recall it got returned. There are different variants of the RF-31, the 31C version is made in China. Round columns are not a good choice if you mostly plan to do milling work. Precision Mathews also know as Quality Machine Tools is probably one of the better vendors when looking at those that provide very good customer service. Their machines cover a wide range, but the old adage is that you get what you pay for still holds true. If you want a better built new machine, then pay a bit more and typically they are made in Taiwan vs. mainland China. It is not that China can't produce high quality products, it is all about the price point people want to pay.

Withing the price range of the RF-31, the two PM/QMT mills I would suggest considering are below, the first is made in Taiwan, the second is much heavier and made in China. Grizzly these days, I do not feel has comparable customer service, and I do not have nay experience with any of their current machines. Their G0761 is similar to the RF45/PM-932M, but I feel you would be much better off with the belt drive VFD model PM-932V or the smaller PM-728VT. Many people would suggest also looking at the used market for maybe a knee mill, but for the inexperienced person I think it is more of a liability not knowing how to evaluate a used machine, and if needed the availability of parts. There is also the issue of moving/delivery of machines when you get in the 2000 lb+ range.

I have to agree with @mksj
I had a 1980's vintage Taiwanese made Long Chang RF30 round column mill. It was well made and held good tolerances. But now I have a square column PM30 style mill and I would never have a round column mill again.

I think Grizzly tells you the country of origin if you ask, but the answer is practically always China.
The Grizzly catalog (at least the last time I looked) proudly boasts when a machine is made in Taiwan, they never mention China so if it doesn't say Taiwan it's China. They also have machines as being made in an ISO 9001 factory, I assume these to be better quality Chinese machines.

Not if you are a noob. Can’t evaluate wear etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not if you are a noob. Can’t evaluate wear etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
One of the great things about this community is you can ask for help.

The OP obviously has done some research and is reaching out for opinions on different options. Used is definitely an option in this price range and it’ll get you way more machine if you select carefully.

I had a round column mill for a short time and jumped at the chance to get a knee mill. World of difference.

Also in the price range are several new square column machines which although not as heavy will serve well and avoid the round column shortfalls.

If nothing else I would advise them to check out possible used RF30’s to get an idea of pricing, many of these machines have very little wear having been purchased for light use.

Hopefully the OP will come back and give us some idea of what kind of projects the envision so we can offer better advice. Maybe even someone on here can offer to help IRL, having the chance to see how different machines are setup and used is one of the best ways to evaluate one’s own needs.

John

Back