And I thought my job was stressful! Lol

I worked for a short while at a 1200MW plant Lakeview and we had 8x 150MW and they were pretty big (see below). We had to do static exciter power system stability tests, imagine introducing a small step error into the feedback loop that controls the generator output, and then observe the response as the generator speed overshoots and then gets damped out (if everything is just right). Not for the faint of heart. We had a strobe on the shaft so we could see it in relative terms, pretty cool. These are small compared to the Bruce units, If I recall those are between 750 and 870MW.

aaa.pngbbb.png

Last edited:
We just got two new HP feedwaters heaters delivered today. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.
The two main reasons we use hydrogen in the generator is the high heat transfer of H and reduce windage in the generator due to H's low density.
Generators are usually kept @~60psi. The H is cooled by hydrogen coolers inside the generator which have cooling water flowing in them.
And another interesting bit of info, something I find incredible. Well over 50% of total steam pressure is dropped on the first stage of the HP turbine.

A good friend of mine just retired from Bruce in the fall. Had been there since ‘86. Workaholic but health put the stop to that.
Pierre

Back