Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

When I received my PM-1340GT, I drained the headstock, took off the top cover and inspected everything inside the headstock casting.

2F932AC1-0E37-4D63-9305-B46568771296.jpeg

The oil was crystal clear, and I found zero grinding dust or swarf in the headstock. So I would recommend you run the lathe through a break-in procedure first - something like 10 hours of spindle time total making sure you’ve run it in all the headstock gear setting for at least 30 minutes. That break-in will certainly dislodge any burrs on the gears, and while I don’t think changing the oil after 10 hours is really necessary, doing so will give you the comfort of knowing you did so.

Draining the headstock can be very messy because of the position of the drain plug. I decided after my first draining experience to install an oil drain plumbing system that makes the procedure super easy and totally controllable. You can see that in this photo:

Be careful refilling the headstock with fresh oil - it’s easy to not see the fill line in the sight-glass and over fill - you’ll know you’ve done that when the spindle bearings begin to ooze oil all over the bedways (been there). Congratulations on your new lathe - I really love my 1340 and continue to be amazed at what’s possible with it.

My plan was to run through a break in period as well David. Was also planning on adding a magnet to the inside of the head to attract and pull ferrous floaters out of suspension.

I did the break-in routine on my 1340 with the original oil in it. When I changed the oil, I removed the top cover and did an inspection of the headstock interior. It was nice and clean and needed nothing but oil. :aok:

My 1440BV was delivered without oil in the headstock and a warning tag stating such. There was a small puddle of oil in the headstock and lots of casting sand/metal. I wiped up as much as could and filled it up. Hopefully I'll get the rest on the next oil change.

When I received my PM-1340GT, I drained the headstock, took off the top cover and inspected everything inside the headstock casting.

View attachment 372092

The oil was crystal clear, and I found zero grinding dust or swarf in the headstock. So I would recommend you run the lathe through a break-in procedure first - something like 10 hours of spindle time total making sure you’ve run it in all the headstock gear setting for at least 30 minutes. That break-in will certainly dislodge any burrs on the gears, and while I don’t think changing the oil after 10 hours is really necessary, doing so will give you the comfort of knowing you did so.

Draining the headstock can be very messy because of the position of the drain plug. I decided after my first draining experience to install an oil drain plumbing system that makes the procedure super easy and totally controllable. You can see that in this photo:

Be careful refilling the headstock with fresh oil - it’s easy to not see the fill line in the sight-glass and over fill - you’ll know you’ve done that when the spindle bearings begin to ooze oil all over the bedways (been there). Congratulations on your new lathe - I really love my 1340 and continue to be amazed at what’s possible with

View attachment 372092

Be careful refilling the headstock with fresh oil - it’s easy to not see the fill line in the sight-glass and over fill - you’ll know you’ve done that when the spindle bearings begin to ooze oil all over the bedways (been there). Congratulations on your new lathe - I really love my 1340 and continue to be amazed at what’s possible with it.
David,
Many thanks for your advices! I will surely take cautions when performing this oil change/check. I have not clean the Cosmoline off the machine yet. I’m thinking of using lighter fluid to clean off the Cosmoline, what do you recommend for this? Or should I use WD-40. I also just purchase one of them VIS 8inch level to level the lathe down the road . The VIS level accuracy is .0005/10inch, is that accurate enough? Please kindly advise me anything that you can think of about setting up this 1340gt, your knowledge are greatly appreciated.

Lighter fluid is Naphtha and highly flammable. It might actually dissolve the paint. I would stick with kerosene or WD40. Yes, 0.0005" over 10" is an accurate enough level. Just about everything I've done setting up my 1340 is documented in my Flickr archives here (along with a lot of other shop stuff you can ignore - LOL).

Finally! The 1340GT is here!!
I'm just curious as to what was the date that your order was placed? I'm afraid I missed this shipment by a hair, not that it matters. Here's to hoping that a September arrival isn't delayed again.

Last edited:
I'm just curious as to what was the date that your order was placed? I'm afraid I missed this shipment by the a hair, not that it matters. Here's to hoping that a September arrival isn't delayed again.

I was told at first that I was on this shipment. Then I wasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At last my 833 will be delivered tomorrow!! Question regarding the included 10x100mm mounting hardware. Is the headwear stainless? Also what is the depth of the bottom mounting plate, from where the bolt rest's to the to of the chip tray?
Thanks guys..

Back