Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

What to do while waiting for my 833tv? Time to build a bench. It will not only hold the mill but also have roller drawers and a cabinet. (the slides are in the background of the 1st pic. Have to stay busy...

Getting closer. siding and a door to go..

Attachments

• IMG_7167.jpg
    IMG_7167.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_7189.jpg
    IMG_7189.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_7202.jpg
    IMG_7202.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_7220.jpg
    IMG_7220.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 156
Looking good. Where did all the drawer components come from - did you part-out a Lista or similar?
Hi David, thanks.
Looking good. Where did all the drawer components come from - did you part-out a Lista or similar?
Hi David, Thanks. All the drawers and slides were in a shop I do sublet work for. They were mounted to a wall in a rack system. The owner of the shop gave them to me. I ditched the rack system so I could utilize them as a base for the 833TV I am anxiously waiting on.

Would love some advice on milling tooling. I got $100 Amazon gift card, and I want to spend that on cutting tools for the mill. I have nothing currently. I plan to do work in aluminum and different types of steel, so investing in insert tooling is interesting, but I don't know what I don't know at this point.

First, what type of end mills should I get to start? Should I look into face mills as well?
Second, if indexable, what is the best road for me to go down on insert style, and size so I can ensure I have the capability to source inserts, common types and sizing, etc.

Any links to Amazon would be great. I literally have nothing, so I know I will need to buy as I go, but would like something to get me started when my machine gets here.

I was looking at this. Low stick out, fits my mill, APKT1604 seems popular, but I honestly have no idea...

OR am I better off going for something like this to start?

Last edited:
I was looking at this. Low stick out, fits my mill, APKT1604 seems popular, but I honestly have no idea...

That 20-piece end mill set is total junk - don't buy that. I have no experience with Accusize, but I have an Iscar indexable end mill that's similar and uses the same APKT inserts and I like it a lot. If you don't already own one of these, this would be a good purchase - used to tram the mill, find center of a round part or hole, align the vise to the X-axis travel, etc.

I will start researching how to add a sub panel to my existing 200A panel, so I can run the 220V needed for these machines.
Congratulations on your purchase! Exciting times!
Putting in a sub-panel was my task for last winter!

Run #10 stranded so you can pull it through the conduit, it will also give you the option to use a 30A breaker if you move up to 3 Hp machines in the future. I pull 4 wire to my machines because I split off 120V for drives, DRO, etc. I use a supplemental breaker at the machine otherwise 20A 120V sockets.
That’s an interesting idea. I was going to oversize the wire anyway so it has sufficient ampacity for 30A.
I’ll probably run NMU-90 (normal sheathed house wire) through the ceiling joists and then surface in Rigid PVC down the wall to the outlet.

Would love some advice on milling tooling. I got $100 Amazon gift card, and I want to spend that on cutting tools for the mill. I have nothing currently. I plan to do work in aluminum and different types of steel, so investing in insert tooling is interesting, but I don't know what I don't know at this point.

First, what type of end mills should I get to start? Should I look into face mills as well?
Second, if indexable, what is the best road for me to go down on insert style, and size so I can ensure I have the capability to source inserts, common types and sizing, etc.

Any links to Amazon would be great. I literally have nothing, so I know I will need to buy as I go, but would like something to get me started when my machine gets here.

FWIW, I recently purchased some Accusize Cobalt Roughing and Finishing Endmills and a 3" Carbide R8 Facemill, stocking up for my upcoming PM-935TS-3PH milling machine. I have used the endmills in my CNC Mini Mill and I am impressed. The Roughing endmills really hog material out. I am quite impressed with the price, fit/finish and performance of Accusize products so far. Other than that, I have a whole bunch of new Carbide endmills and ball-end endmills from Maritool in stock which I have been using successfully on the CNC Mini-mill over the years. Just got a 12pc, 3", R8 Boring head kit on Amazon that looks like decent quality, but of course, not used it yet.
Everyday metrology stuff (digital micrometer, dial test gauges, height gauge, coaxial center finder, etc.) from Shars and Accusize. I do have a Mitutoyo digital micrometer on order which I intend to keep as a shop reference instrument.
Yup, you can easily surpass the cost of the milling machine on tooling and accessories .....maybe it should be called a "Milking Machine" :)

Finally! The 1340GT is here!! Took a bit of helps from the buddies to bring the lathe 5 steps down to the basement. Time to start reading the VDF basic (thank you to @mksj for sharing all the awesome infos and also to @davidpbest for your comments and ideas) @Christianstark I got the Hitachi VFD and the break resistor in the 3rd image.
IMG_4446.jpg
IMG_4438.jpg
IMG_4440.jpg

@

Last edited:
Back