Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

Was going to pich up a Starrett 98-6 for this. $140 on Amazon.
Just so you have the right expectations, that Starrett 98-6 isn’t precise enough to align your lathe bed ways. It resolves to 0.005” per foot which is fine to grossly level your lathe, but not accurate enough to align the bed. Mark's SPI and my Starrett resolve to ten times that resolution. There are other methods of aligning the bed that don’t require a level. I suggest you watch this video, and this video or search on "two collar method lathe leveling" for additional information. To precisely align the headstock, you'd need a test bar like this one. I have one I can lend you if you cover postage - DM me. Some people use this gizmo to align the tailstock, but the 2-collar method works also.

Was planning on getting close, and then 2 collar method to dial it in. I’ll watch those videos tonight. May have already seen them

Just so you have the right expectations, that Starrett 98-6 isn’t precise enough to align your lathe bed ways. It resolves to 0.005” per foot which is fine to grossly level your lathe, but not accurate enough to align the bed. Mark's SPI and my Starrett resolve to ten times that resolution. There are other methods of aligning the bed that don’t require a level. I suggest you watch this video, and this video or search on "two collar method lathe leveling" for additional information. To precisely align the headstock, you'd need a test bar like this one. I have one I can lend you if you cover postage - DM me. Some people use this gizmo to align the tailstock, but the 2-collar method works also.

Grats on the new machines! I have a PM-833TV I am currently converting to full cnc :)

Well the machines aren’t here yet, but thanks. Looking forward to receiving them.

You might look at these levels, as the two ring tests assumes your headstock is aligned correctly which is typically not the case with the 1340GT. On a new lathe I get the bed level, and let it settle in and recheck it, then check the headstock alignment. On my 1340Gt it was slightly out of alignment. Both of these scales are a bit on the sensitive end of the spectrum, Kinex are quite good, but the Accusize also had good reviews. They are something that you use but a few times, so not worth spending a lot of $$ on, but get something decent and with the resolution you need.

Damn. I pulled the trigger on one off eBay for about $122 delivered. Looks like I will be putting it up for sale on CL and getting an import. When I saw Starrett and machinist level, I assumed it would be sensitive enough.
You might look at these levels, as the two ring tests assumes your headstock is aligned correctly which is typically not the case with the 1340GT. On a new lathe I get the bed level, and let it settle in and recheck it, then check the headstock alignment. On my 1340Gt it was slightly out of alignment. Both of these scales are a bit on the sensitive end of the spectrum, Kinex are quite good, but the Accusize also had good reviews. They are something that you use but a few times, so not worth spending a lot of $$ on, but get something decent and with the resolution you need.

What to do while waiting for my 833tv? Time to build a bench. It will not only hold the mill but also have roller drawers and a cabinet. (the slides are in the background of the 1st pic. Have to stay busy....

Attachments

• IMG_7157.jpg
    IMG_7157.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_7158.jpg
    IMG_7158.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_7160.jpg
    IMG_7160.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_7163.jpg
    IMG_7163.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 144
Looks great! I wish I could weld like that. My welds are ugly in comparison.

What to do while waiting for my 833tv? Time to build a bench. It will not only hold the mill but also have roller drawers and a cabinet. (the slides are in the background of the 1st pic. Have to stay busy....

Damn. I pulled the trigger on one off eBay for about $122 delivered. Looks like I will be putting it up for sale on CL and getting an import. When I saw Starrett and machinist level, I assumed it would be sensitive enough.
I’ll repeat my offer to borrow the headstock alignment bar.

Thanks David. If 2 way shipping makes sense then I will graciously accept! Still looking at end of August till it gets to Pennsylvania.
I’ll repeat my offer to borrow the headstock alignment bar.

Back