Any Ideas About This Lathe?

PaPa_Jack

Registered
Registered
I am going to look at this lathe tomorrow. The fella selling it is liquidating his FIL's estate. He knows nothing about lathes so he and I have a lot in common. All he knows is that it say Precision Lathe Model A on it.

Any info would really be appreciated.

Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 8.41.40 PM.png

It's a south bend 9" model A with under drive cabinet. I see a face plate, 3 jaw chuck, and collet rack . This is a very desirable lathe for hobbyist and home work shops. A very good quality lathe. See if there is other tooling that comes with it in the drawers, like collets, cutters, etc. I don't know what he is asking but I definitely would try and score this lathe if you are looking for a good quality starter lathe. This is also a lathe that you will not have a problem re selling if you ever upgrade.

I am not sure but the son in law said there was some tooling in the one drawer and a couple books also.

He is asking $700. for it. Do you have any idea how much it might weigh. I would guess I am going to need a

engine hoist to get it on my trailer. How easy is it to take the lathe off the base and handle them separately?

For $700 it's a decent deal if there are no glaring problems. Bring an extra $100 or so for the drill press next to it.

With stand it's probably about 500 pounds.

The tooling is OK but nothing drool worthy.

I have a South Bend 9A but not the under drive so I don't know how easy it is to take apart. I don't think it would be too difficult.

I took the tailstock and saddle assembly off of the bench top version and moved it by myself in the back of my Ford Explorer. All I used was a plank, a chain hoist, a moving dolly and a handy bit of scafolding.

I'd buy it.

Last edited:
Hey PaPa_Jack,

This is likely a catalog number on one of the plates, and a serial number stamped into the bed ways at the tailstock end, front.
With the catalog number I could probably look thru old catalogs and find the exact model to give some specs. including weight.
The serial number can be looked up here:
http://southbendlathe.com/older-machines/serial-numbers
(for basic info)
and here:
http://www.wswells.com/serial_number.html
to give an idea of age.

$700 is a pretty good price, depending on condition.
If you get more pictures or the info above then please post back.

-brino

Hey PaPa_Jack,

This is likely a catalog number on one of the plates, and a serial number stamped into the bed ways at the tailstock end, front.
With the catalog number I could probably look thru old catalogs and find the exact model to give some specs. including weight.
The serial number can be looked up here:
http://southbendlathe.com/older-machines/serial-numbers
(for basic info)
and here:
http://www.wswells.com/serial_number.html
to give an idea of age.

$700 is a pretty good price, depending on condition.
If you get more pictures or the info above then please post back.

-brino
He gave me a number CZ344ZD but I can't find any reference to it.

My son gave me a hand picking up my new toy today. Peter, the fella selling it, went nut when my son grabbed the tailstock end and lifted it up. He told Peter to slide the dollie under the end. He then went around to the headstock end and lifted it up. Oh to be young and stupid again. Of course he is sitting in the recliner now and I don't think he could get up if he wanted to.

I have a small tilt bed trailer so we laid plywood down the trailer and just pushed the lathe up onto it. The cheap HF dollies worked perfectly.

The catalog number for this lathe is CL344ZD
the Serial Number is 39922NKR9

When I initially talked to Peter I asked if there was any tooling with it. He said everything with it was in the original photos. I has a 3 jaw chuck, two heavy face plates, 15 collets, a draw bar but I didn't see the other parts for using collets. Has a SB steady rest. Several drill chucks. A couple live centers and two dead centers. A couple end mills and a few drill bits.

There were a couple old books in the one drawer. One is a CE3455 Parts Manual. Printed by LeBlond. The gentleman that owned the lathe had made a lot of notes in the pages. Apparently he ws trying to find a new drive belt for it. During his research he must have been told that the lathe was built in the late 60'a or early 70's.

For now it is sitting in my workshop. I am very tired. I'm getting too old for this nonsense. Tomorrow is anohter day though.

Here are a couple pics.

IMG_4266_zpshnyhroqp.jpg

IMG_4265_zpso4pyrpqv.jpg

IMG_4262_zpsxsrhytvc.jpg

b959dbbb-6b67-45fe-a569-fb52dda8b5bb_zpsea5lvtwj.jpg

IMG_4259_zpszkd6x4qd.jpg IMG_4258_zpsaiuvgtwy.jpg

IMG_4260_zps4kswdbrt.jpg

From the serial number, your lathe was made in the mid-fifties.

You did well on tooling. The telescopic steady rest is something you will need and they are a little pricey to buy. Faceplate, tailstock wrench, probably the other jaws for the chuck and looks like a bunch of 3C collets.

Thanks. He had six people offer him more money before I got there. He refused to sell because he had made an agreement. Don't find people like that every day. One fella was there picking up a Jet 4x6 horizontal bandsaw. He offered me an Atlas that he has just finished restoring plus $150. I explained to him that I have always wanted a SB lathe and it was going home with me. They had had an estate auction 3 weeks ago and no one bid on the lathe a brand new Jet bandsaw or a small compressor. I have never heard of that happening. He posted it on CL and I saw it and called him 15 minutes after he posted it. Tonight I played the lottery. :)
It runs in both directions quietly. The SIL that was telling it told me that the old gent had been complaining about it making a lot more noise than usual as little as three weeks ago. I found he had the belt on crooked adn it was chewing up the edge of the belt badly.
The only things I can't find are the key for the 3 jaw chuck and the parts that go with the draw bar.

I'll check it out better tomorrow. If my back will let me. That little thing is heavy to move around.

Back