Any Ideas About This Lathe?

I am trying to sort through some of the items that were included with the lathe. I read that the spindle and the tailstock were MT2. that doesn't seem to be the case.

IMG_4338.jpeg

The larger one fits the spindle exactly. the smaller on is a standard MT2 that fits the tailstock. Are they the same?

IMG_4338.jpeg IMG_4337.jpeg

IMG_4262_zpsxsrhytvc.jpg
The item in the upper right corner almost looks like the collet piece that might fit into the spindle. Can't tell without seeing the face of it though.

IMG_4262_zpsxsrhytvc.jpg
The item in the upper right corner almost looks like the collet piece that might fit into the spindle. Can't tell without seeing the face of it though.

You are correct. That is the 3c collet adapter. The spindle bore itself has a taper to it. The large dead center is a perfect fit. Somewhere I read in SB literature that both the spindle and the tailstock accepted MT2 fittings as well. My understanding is that MT2 tapers are all exactly the same size. The larger of the dead canters fits the spindle but, obviously, it is much larger. If I can identify the larger taper, I may find other tooling with that same taper . It would expand the tooling that I would be able to utilize.

I am new to all of this and get a little confused by the terminology sometimes.

In the picture, you see a plumb bob that has string wrapped around it. I took the string off and it is a perfect fit in the spindle bore. It fits tight enough that I had to use the draw bar to tap it out.

Last edited:
hmmmm......yep even the catalog page I pointed you to above says the headstock and tailstock are both MT2.

So either,
-Southbend started making them different over the years, or
-a previous owner changed the spindle, perhaps to get a bigger thru-hole.

The headstock may be an MT-3.
Do you have another Morse-taper arbor in a drill press that you know the size and can try it in the lathe?
A drill press may have a MT arbor even if you don't realize it.

See:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/griz-g7946-drill-press-runout.34761/#post-294094

-brino

hmmmm......yep even the catalog page I pointed you to above says the headstock and tailstock are both MT2.

So either,
-Southbend started making them different over the years, or
-a previous owner changed the spindle, perhaps to get a bigger thru-hole.

The headstock may be an MT-3.
Do you have another Morse-taper arbor in a drill press that you know the size and can try it in the lathe?
A drill press may have a MT arbor even if you don't realize it.

See:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/griz-g7946-drill-press-runout.34761/#post-294094

-brino

I do have a Delta drill press with an MT2 taper. The chuck from the drill press fits perfectly in the tailstock but is drastically smaller than the spindle taper. In fact, the first "project" I did on the lathe was to drill a centered hole for my sons blacksmithing hobby. It worked like a charm.

During my initial examination of the lathe I noticed that the spindle bore was tapered on the chuck end. the outboard end of the spindle measures 3/4 inch. I was curious so I tried a few of the tapered tools in the chuck end and the only one that fit was the "plumb bob" part.

I would either try to find the threaded collar that fits the spindle or make one if you plan on using the collets. The collar makes it easier to remove the adapter when not in use. Making a drawbar is not that hard.

The catalogue shows 3/4" through hole on the spindle for that machine. Seems a bit large to have a 2MT in it, doesn't it? I mean, my little Atlas has a 2MT headstock taper with through bore of 1/2".
Standard equipment for the other 9" lathes on the previous pages list 2MT centres for headstock and tailstock, but also a "spindle sleeve". So is the taper in the spindle indeed 3MT but the two centres provided are both 2MT to be used with the sleeve in the headstock? The catalogue says that the "regular equipment" provided is the same as for the bench model machines.

-frank

At least on the bigger lathes, since that's what I have been researching, the spindle is a proprietary SB taper and the lathe ships with a removable sleeve to step it down to a MT.

No I didn't get one with my lathe, either.

Here is an MT2 dead center sitting in the bore of my spindle. It is way too small to be used there.

IMG_4341.jpeg

This is the tapered "plumb bob" that fits perfectly.

Spindle.jpg

I guess, what I am asking is, is the spindle bore an MT3?

Back