Any Ideas About This Lathe?

The motor is a Doer. I don't think it is original at all. Maybe the driven pulley is not original. It is a single v pulley.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but in the bottom picture the driven pulley off the motor (the aluminium pulley at the top) should be a 2 step FLAT pulley. Yes, SB used a V belt to drive a flat pulley, but it actually works quite well and allows the operator to move the belt back & forth for speed changes relatively easily without messing with the belt tension.

Is your pulley not flat? It's hard to see from that picture. I can grab a picture of the one on my 10K which should be the same as yours.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but in the bottom picture the driven pulley off the motor (the aluminium pulley at the top) should be a 2 step FLAT pulley. Yes, SB used a V belt to drive a flat pulley, but it actually works quite well and allows the operator to move the belt back & forth for speed changes relatively easily without messing with the belt tension.

Is your pulley not flat? It's hard to see from that picture. I can grab a picture of the one on my 10K which should be the same as yours.

One side is a V and then there is a flat on the outboard half. What you are saying makes sense but I would never have thought about driving a V belt on a flat. I will have to try it out and see what happens.

Another question. The gear door guard has a badly loose hinge pin. Someone tried to solder it but it doesn't work right. I have been watching on ebay but the number inside the door is 650NK1. The doors that match that are specified for a 10K lathe. Are they the same? Holding the door closed. it just doesn't seem to be a good fit. I am wondering if at some point it was replaced.

Two doors were listed as for a 9A on ebay but they don't look the same. The hinge pins look a lot lower.

Good buy I just got found my first SB Heavy 10 for 600.00. Don't look as good as yours though. Plus all I got was a 3 jaw chuck. Have fun!

First post and already a typo! Need to get use to typing. These hands aren't good for that.Flustered

Another question. The gear door guard has a badly loose hinge pin. Someone tried to solder it but it doesn't work right. I have been watching on ebay but the number inside the door is 650NK1. The doors that match that are specified for a 10K lathe. Are they the same? Holding the door closed. it just doesn't seem to be a good fit. I am wondering if at some point it was replaced.

Two doors were listed as for a 9A on ebay but they don't look the same. The hinge pins look a lot lower.

First off, that is a beautiful machine. You scored.
You should keep that lathe original. The part for your door (the 650N) is on page 3A part# 2093 (Babbitt for Change Gear Guard Bracket).
View attachment 136551

IMHO just align (square) the hinge pin and fill with hot lead.
I for one would love to see some photos of your progress.

Attachments

• Parts list SB9A UMD lathe 1944 P-344.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Back