Arbor press project

my press will be made up of 3 main pieces, the lower frame , the upright frame , and the head. The head is fabed with 1/2 x 5 x 4 1/2 plate cut and welded together with the gears and shaft. This will be welded to the upper frame , then the upper assembly will be welded to the lower frame. It's too large for me to fit into my mill so I need to do all my machine work on the head before I weld it to the frame. The upper frame is a single piece of box iron that I got from an agricultural implement. ( the price was right! ) I will try post some pics of what I am putting together.

I'm going to try attach some pics . I'm not good at this but here goes. the first 4 show the gears and 1/2 in. plate I am using to make up the "head". An end plate will be fastened to the side plates with 8 or 10 5/16 NF bolts where the X's are . The side plates will be welded to a backing plate that will be welded to the frame shown in the last pic. I do not have anything for a base yet. The frame will be shortened at the white vertical line and that should give me about 17" of vertical clearance. There will also be guide plates installed on the "tooth" side of the ram for stability. The ram is 1.5" wide and 2' long. Planning on using a 3/4 ratchet on the right side and a hand wheel on the left. This is the first attempt at an arbor press so any and all advice will be greatly appreciated! As it sits right now the pinion gear would not be removable when all is welded together. Does anyone see an issue with this? Only the shaft, ram and front plate would be removable.

Attachments

• P3170265.JPG
    P3170265.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 192
  • P3170266.JPG
    P3170266.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 185
  • P3170268.JPG
    P3170268.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 178
  • P3170271.JPG
    P3170271.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 182
  • P3170270.JPG
    P3170270.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Non-removable will only be issue if gear becomes damaged; with remainder disassembled, bet is drilling out gearshaft possible. Replacement could be splined and save the very nice frame.
I expected it a more common rectangular type. Would milling horizontally work, time comes?

toolmaker51, that's kind of what I thought . I can't imagine how a person could damage the gear so it shouldn't be an issue. It will be different compared to most presses but price and functionality will be a plus. It will take some time and planning but that's OK. Thanks for your thoughts.

Never seen a bad gear or corresponding rack in a press someone built or bought on their own; mushroomed rams etc sprout on shop supplied equipment.

You have a good start on your arbor press. I can't live without mine. I would suggest you mod it to be able to ratchet the handle.

I found one of those pipe thread ratchets and adapting it to my arbor press is on to do list. Along with a handwheel on the opposite side of the head. If you do one you have to do the other. Also if you ever use an arbor press with them you will love them.

C-bag , thanks for the tip . My plan was to use a 3/4 drive ratchet but your idea of a pipe thread ratchet might be good. I just happen to have one that I don't think I will ever use. Need to check that out. I did some welding on it yesterday and will post some pics of what I have so far. The pinion gear and rack run real smooth in the frame, but as I expected, welding introduced some warpage in the head. It is easily corrected and will not cause any problems.

My Proto 3/4” ratchet although HD is nowhere near the stoutness of the pipe threader ratchet. I had long wanted to convert my 2tn Jet arbor press to ratchet and was trying figure it out when I saw one modded with the pipe ratchet. Did a search here on HM and there it was, shoulda known. I also don’t want the ratchet mounted as far outside on the shaft as a handle. I can see the need on a handle to clear the base, but the ratchet doesn’t need the clearance. The closer to the head it is the less schwangle under pressure IMHO. I think the pipe ratchet will be easier to adapt too.

Another detail is a counterweight on the shaft to counter balance the ratchet. I’ve used a big ratcheting arbor press like that and it’s really nice but you’d have to somehow hook it to the ratchet head without weakening it. Figure I’d solve that puzzle if I ever got to it.

I just got done with a long planned upgrade of mounting my arbor press on a mobile stand. And a second level shelf underneath to extend the capacity from 8 1/2” to 15”.

C-Bag, is this the tool you were referring to? Nice handle and light weight..Should work good.
P3310281.JPG
P3310281.JPG

C-Bag, is this the tool you were referring to? Nice handle and light weight..Should work good.

yup, I can’t see the head. I picked up this old Ridged off CL for $5.

Attachments

• D6B1D550-F24B-4331-9F92-092C409F746F.jpeg
    D6B1D550-F24B-4331-9F92-092C409F746F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 163
Back