Arbor press project

I felt like you that using a 3/4 ratchet will move the ratchet head too far from the gears. Might be a risk of tipping sideways as well as stress on the shaft. Here are some more pics of my conglomeration. Good thing I don't make my living as a welder. sheesh! P3310276.JPG Kinda propped it up to show how it will look. A little ugly ( well OK, a lot ugly) but I think it will work.

Attachments

• P3310279.JPG
    P3310279.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 177
  • P3310272.JPG
    P3310272.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 192
Do you have any pics of your stand? That's one thing I don't have figured out yet.

yeah, same thing. They are a nice handle.
And solve a lot of problems. I think the gear will just be a heavy square tooth.

Do you have a mill? Are you going to key the gear to the shaft?

I plan on pulling my shaft to mount the gear and to key the other side for a hand wheel. Personally I don’t weld stuff like that because I’m always changing things as I go and it’s really handy to be able to adjust the gibs for like holding the head in place. My arbor press has become crucial for my sheetmetal work and being able to lock the head in place is handy.

Do you have any pics of your stand? That's one thing I don't have figured out yet.
I don’t have any plans for honking on this thing. If I need more umph than 2tn I’ll use my old 22tn screw press. If you look in the presses, it’s the next thread I just started below this thread.

Yeah, I have a vertical knee mill, Taiwanese, so I'm going to key the shaft to the gear and the hand wheel. The handle will likely be keyed as well. I'm just not sure yet how I will set that up. I'll check your thread.

At $5, that's going to deplete the market quickly. Get them while you can!

yup, I can’t see the head. I picked up this old Ridged off CL for $5.
Upon further thought (and realized complication)I’ve decided to go a different route. Maybe if I’d gotten a die holder with the handle(which I could have, DOH!) I could have done something simpler. But the diameter change I needed in order make it work was giving me a headache. And the other thing that made me hesitant about the old die handle was it was a really short tooth on the ratchet pawl. Even though I don’t want to honk on this I’d be up a creek if this old handle dies.

Mostly what made me reassess was it was going to make it so the original handle would not work like it did. Every time I take something down to permanently change it and it’s gotten hung up because I’ve had other things come up, I need the tool/machine :(

Turns out I can buy the 2tn arbor press ratchet gear on eBay for $30 and the ID is exactly what the OD of the shaft is. So all I’d have to do is put a keyway in the shaft and fab a counter balanced ratchet (which they don’t sell :( which I was going to miss with the pipe die handle. And I’ll not have to do any diameter changes on the original press shaft. Famous last words, but there I am.

Substituting the ratchet is a reasonable course; at the same time a plastic protractor or dividing head would segment a ratchet, and the pawl could be bandsawn to an accurate layout...

Yup, 6 o 1, half a dozen of another. I’m so far behind I decided to go a less intensive route. Undoubtedly I’d learn something laying out a ratchet gear, but the one off eBay was just down in Chino and got here today already. And it’s hardened and everything!

Back