ATF letter

I've got the plans for both, built the RG&G and one of these years need to get back at it. As JerryK mentions above, the RG&G plans are really more of a guide than anything. At least 15 drawing errors in the plans; mine are circa about 2012. I've run around 1000 rounds through the gun but have problems with extraction of the spent rounds. At times almost need a ram rod down the barrel to knock out the spent cartridge. I've got a spare barrel for some experimenting, was suggested by another builder to put a 1-2 deg. taper on the chamber to help pull the rounds.

I attached a text file from the gatlingguns.net forum which is a summary of drawing errors found by others. I've found a bunch of others which are marked up on my shop drawings. I'll get around to adding them to the list one of these days. A couple off the top of my head is the depth of the relief hole in the bolt drawing. By design the firing pin will jam against the inside wall of the bolt. Also, the extractors hit the back of the rounds and ride up and over with a 15 deg. off vertical angle. I made them to a 45 degree angle, really doubted a 15 deg. off vertical angle would "want" to walk up and over the back of the round. No wonder guys have a problem with extractors bending. There's also a dimensional error in the main axle shaft and something in the oscillating mechanism.

Don't hesitate to PM me if anyone wants more info. I made some mods in the adapter that holds the magazines. As designed it'll probably break as Paul designed it with an open ended slot that's really susceptible to breaking. He even mentions that in his drawings (so why not fix it then . . .).

My plan is to make a version of the D&E tripod for the RG&G gun as the RG&G plans show a wagon-wheel carriage only. So where do you store that? The tripod breaks down pretty easily, plan on making a locker box to store everything. I'm going to vary from Doug's design as the base of the tripod (part under the gun where the legs fit into pockets) is machined from a solid 5" brass round about 2" deep. That's about a $200 piece of brass! I'm going to go "cheap" and make it from 1/8" and 1/4" steel TIG welded together. One of these days I'll get 'er done.

Bruce

CIMG3484.JPGCIMG3485.JPG
CIMG3486.JPGCIMG3487.JPG
CIMG3488.JPG

Attachments

• rg&g notes.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 32
Have a stock pile, when work finally got rid of the old mice, I got the balls out of them. It will mostly be used as Noise maker, but always nice to have other options.

What?!?! You didn't check for older mice with and save optical pickups to make your own optical encoders. LOL.

I've got a spare barrel for some experimenting, was suggested by another builder to put a 1-2 deg. taper on the chamber to help pull the rounds.
Bruce

This may be useful and it may not. Shells swell to fit the chamber when fired. If the chamber has imperfections they may "key" or lock the shell in the chamber. Remington has had a problem with this in the 870 shotguns for years. Why they don't fix it I don't know. Sometimes it sticks so hard you have to bang the butt of the gun on the ground while holding the slide. The cure? Polish the chamber. First some 300 grit on a stick, then some 600, and finish with fine steel wool. Sliding a piece of paper though the a slit in a rod works great. Chuck it up in a cordless drill and don't forget to reciprocate so you don't leave nasty grooves. No kidding. I can see a slight taper helping, but I bet polishing the chambers would help more, and you can always spend a little more time polishing the breach end of the chamber if you want to.

Unless you get stupid with your polishing you will not create an unsafe gun. A larger chamber results in lower chamber pressure, however in this case I doubt any pressure difference would be noticed at all. You are literally only doing enough work to make it smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
well it will be a while before I can afford the plans, if ever. But it's always nice to wish.

Great progress Bruce,
I also mounted His & Hers on tripods.
Not enough room for Carriages.View attachment 247348

Hi Jerry,

You wouldn't happen to be "cutter" on Gatchat would you? Very nice job, like the twist in the legs and engraved magazines. I didn't attempt the Ackles (think that's the name) mechanism for feeding as feedback on the forum was no one had gotten it to work.

Best regards, Bruce

Hi Jerry,

You wouldn't happen to be "cutter" on Gatchat would you? Very nice job, like the twist in the legs and engraved magazines. I didn't attempt the Ackles (think that's the name) mechanism for feeding as feedback on the forum was no one had gotten it to work.

Best regards, Bruce

Yes Bruce, I am Cutter on that forum.
Yep, the RG-G drum magazine was a failure.
I wanted to use a drum, so I designed my own
using a clock spring

Yes Bruce, I am Cutter on that forum.
Yep, the RG-G drum magazine was a failure.
I wanted to use a drum, so I designed my own
using a clock spring

Hi Jerry,

Excellent work! Your parts on the forum look great too.

Best regards, Bruce

Thanks for the kudos Bruce
If you need any help with your GG
you have my email
Take care
Jerry

Back