Bardons & Oliver #5

Indeed, looks like an American standard A taper spindle mount, if so you will have no problem finding used tooling for that machine.

Indeed, looks like an American standard A taper spindle mount, if so you will have no problem finding used tooling for that machine.

I would have never been able to figure that out myself, thanks. I'll see if I can find some info on it.

Not sure what this thing is made of but my goodness it was some hard cutting. Took 6-7 passes just to get .005" off. Stressed my little atlas to the max I think. Regardless, it's done and a nice fit if I say so myself. No slop to speak of and moves back and forth freely.

100_1348.JPG

Next it's on to this guy. Fit's on the threaded portion of the spindle. As the picture shows, the small rods are bent. My guess is someone was trying to force the piece that was stuck and bent these rods in the process. I'd rather not reproduce them since they appear to be ground to an exact size and I currently don't have that ability. I can't think of any reason for them to be super precisely sized but who knows. I'll try to straighten first and deal with it if I can't get them right.

100_1349.JPG

Here's some of the larger turret tools I've picked up. None of them were more than $30. Patience is the key I think.

100_1350.JPG 100_1352.JPG 100_1353.JPG
100_1351.JPG

100_1350.JPG
I don't think your chop saw is gonna get through that part ;~)

looks like a lot of work but I'm sure it will make a fine machine

View attachment 101113
I don't think your chop saw is gonna get through that part ;~)

It's pretty sad when that's the last clean flat surface in your shop other than the floor.

looks like a lot of work but I'm sure it will make a fine machine

I sure hope so since it will be a lot of work.

I just leveled a lathe that had for leveling feet and that was quite a headache. This one has 8 feet so I'm not looking forward to that at all.

Got a little more done.

Don't forget the key underneath.
100_1370.JPG

Got these parts nice and clean...

100_1371.JPG

and all back together.

100_1378.JPG

Cleaned up the plunger and end tube and put them back on.

100_1373.JPG

100_1374.JPG

100_1375.JPG

100_1376.JPG

Got these pins straightened up pretty good too.
100_1372.JPG

Finally getting back into this thing. Here's some more pictures.

Got the top off the saddle.

1.jpg

This guy here was just floating around in the slot. Didn't look right so I checked around back.

2.jpg

Best I could figure is someone removed the screw (the one in the middle) either to move the saddle or make some type of adjustment and the piece fell off. No one probably wanted to go inside and reattach it. I got it back together though and I think it's right. Won't know until it's all back together.

3.jpg

The gibs and covers were a little nasty too. I don't think I'm gonna more the gib screws since it felt like a good fit. Just clean everything up and get it back together.

4.jpg 5.jpg
Shot of the bottom of the turret.

6.jpg
and a few of the bottom of the slide

7.jpg 8.jpg

Just a few more for future reference.

9.jpg 10.jpg

Every time I drive over to Henderson, and I'm sure JP Fab has seen it, there is a rusting turret lathe sitting out in from of a shop there in Joinerville I believe it is. Lately, there hasn't been many cars parked around the shop. I imagine they are hurting for work. I wouldn't be surprised if they would give that lathe to someone willing to haul it off. It's about the size of the OP's, or maybe a little larger. I sure don't want it though.

I've been pretty slack about updating this thread but the machine is up and running and making a few parts.

Here's a video of me making some collet pads for this machine.

Believe me when you work that machine for a few days you'll know you worked. Not a job you want for weeks at a time. But fun off and on doing jobs quickly. It will give you new insights to the way our country became a major producing one. Extremely well made to last , strong and precise.

Back