Battleship Restoration - USS Texas, BB35

David2011

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Clearly the restoration of a battleship is not "my" project but I have become involved in it. I'm just one of many volunteers donating time and skills to honor the last remaining Dreadnought and the Men that served on her. The sailors that served on the Texas are always on the minds of the volunteers as we work. Design work on the ship began in 1910, the keel was laid in 1911 and she was launched in April of 1913. After completion the Navy accepted her in April of 1914.

IMG_3784.JPGUSS Texas March, 2022

The ship itself is in dry dock in Galveston right now undergoing major shipyard repairs. The deck guns for the most part along with radio equipment, gun directors, nav lights, searchlights and other hardware were all removed and brought to a facility a few miles inland prior to the ship being moved to the dry dock. Because of their size and the difficult of extracting them without damaging the surrounding structure the 5" guns were removed after the ship was in the dry dock. My involvement is helping to clean and repair the guns. When I became involved all of the 20mm Oerlikon cannons had been restored, The first three of ten 3" AA guns were in progress and the first of eight Quad 40mm Bofors had just been fully disassembled. Just for a sense of scale, a 3" AA gun on its mount weighs around 8,000 pounds (3600+ Kg). A complete Quad 40 Bofors weighs about 24,000 pounds (10,900 Kg) and a 5 inch/51caliber gun on its mount is about 25,000 pounds (11,300 Kg). The bare barrel of a 5" gun weighs 10,770 pounds (4885 Kg).

The goal for all of the guns is that visitors to the ship will be able to elevate and train (side to side motion) all of them with their hand cranks. At the outset some of them had gears and shafts that were hunks of rust. Getting them to move easily by hand is a big undertaking. Unfortunately the Navy prohibits training of the five turrets of dual 14" guns. Something about Texans and large guns, I suppose.

I also have some photos of the dimly lit ship's machine shop. One of the goals of the paid employees is to get at least one lathe operational so we can use it for repairs. The ship electrical systems were originally all DC power but that caused problems in some areas including the radios and internal communications so later there were DC motor powered AC generators installed at the places where AC was needed and large AC generators eventually installed for general ship use. Much of the lighting on board is still run by the original wiring.

Since this is a machining site, let's tour the machine shop! First is a small belt driven lathe powered by a DC motor. The second is a 14" machine with a beautiful art deco looking DC motor. Third is a reciprocating power hacksaw. Fourth is a radial arm drill. The fifth and sixth shots are of a Reed and Prentice lathe with another volunteer hear the headstock to give some scale. Last, a horizontal mill.

IMG_1211.JPGIMG_1215.JPGIMG_1221.JPGIMG_1222.JPGIMG_1223.JPGIMG_1225.JPGIMG_1231.JPG

Continuing with the machine shop tour. Radial drill press again, a normal sized drill press, maybe a Delta? A battleship sized arbor press, a huge bench grinder, a wide shot of the machine shop and just outside the machine shop cage, a spare piston ring for one of the six cylinder triple expansion double acting steam engines. If you've seen the Titanic engine room scenes, the engines on the Texas look exactly the same; they're just bigger than the Titanic's engines.

IMG_1232.JPGIMG_1233.JPGIMG_1234.JPGIMG_1235.JPGIMG_1242.JPGIMG_1243.JPG

This is one side of an analog training computer for a 5" gun mount. Training is the side to side motion. The housing and face plate are bronze as are many of the boxes and gear housings. Even the seats on the guns are bronze. It doesn't corrode from seawater like brass will. These training computers and their elevation counterparts received a command via synchronous motors from their gun director. The motors are in housings off to the right. You can see the bottoms of the motor housings in the right side of the casting. Those motors would position a needle in the windows on the left. The gun was manually moved to put the gun's training needle at the same place as the director's needle. Once that was done for both the training and elevation the gun captain would turn a switch that changed the color of a light to indicate that the gun was ready to fire. The guns were usually fired electrically from the gun director but could also be fired by the gun captain at the breech. One of my jobs on these was to get the motors to install and remove easily and another was to make gaskets for the covers.IMG_5321.JPG

This is a shot of our workspace. The barrel is the foreground is a 5"/51 caliber (meaning that the barrel's length is 51 times its caliber) heading out the door for sandblasting and paint. In the center is a completed 3" antiaircraft gun. In the background is a restored mount for a 5" gun.

IMG_5378.JPG

One of my early machining projects was to make some 1/2" x 1" Fillister head screws. They're still available in brass up to 3/8" but we haven't been able to locate commercially made ones in 1/2". Machined out of 3/4" free machining brass stock. The heads were formed with a hand ground HSS form tool. The threads were single pointed and then finished with a die. A total of 26 were made. They attach the top center cover to the 5" gun mount. They're hardly noticeable once the mount is assembled and painted but they're as historically correct as I could make them. Bronze would be a better material but the already high cost skyrockets.

Attachments

• IMG_5458.JPG
    IMG_5458.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5465.JPG
    IMG_5465.JPG
    484.2 KB · Views: 15
Another project was to make reproduction shafts that connect the 5" gun training sight traverse (windage adjustment) handwheels to their gearboxes. The gear is original ca. 1911. I just made the shafts. The big piece on the fork lift pallet is part of the sight. Originally the sight was used to aim the gun. After a 1925 upgrade the sight is a backup to the gun director input.

IMG_5502.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5504.JPG
    IMG_5504.JPG
    480.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5243.JPG
    IMG_5243.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
holy guacamole! The project of getting it water tight(ish) and floating seems huge, but all the details needing to be right for everything else must be almost overwhelming. Even simply restoring the machines in the machine shop is hundreds and hundreds of hours of work

The goal for all of the guns is that visitors to the ship will be able to elevate and train (side to side motion) all of them with their hand cranks.
I have great memories of cranking those guns when I was a kid.

Back