Can you guess the manufacturer of this depth micrometer?

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Can you guess the manufacturer of this depth micrometer?:
There's not much information about it, it is an ebay item:
s-l1600 (4).jpg

My wild guess is a Lufkin. The box, shape of the mic itself, resembles so of the old Lufkin tools out there.

Thanks Ken, if in fact it is a Lufkin, I don't think it'll go much higher than $40.

You should be able to ask the seller that question; it is certainly engraved on the tool and probably the box also.

I would pass. there is only 2 rods so it is limited to a small range.

I first thought that it might be a Scherr-Tumico, but after comparing it to one that I have, I doubt it. S-T mikes are manufactured in Minnesota and were commonly used in the US military and a few other branches of the US government.

Tools as good as any starrett made then. There tops in my book and the cost difference is tremendous. I own many of there fine measuring instruments. There micrometers have a unique nut system it's made to take up any wear over thousands of hours use . It's a Lufkin

The real question to entertain is whether or not you need a depth mic. I have a really nice Mitutoyo depth mic set and have used it maybe twice in the last 10 years. Most of the time I use a depth base on the end of my dial caliper or sometimes a Mitutoyo dial depth gauge. The depth mic set mostly sits. Just food for thought.

Lufkin.
I just used my depth mic tonight. And more frequently than I thought I would. Mostly I use it for less than 1". I have 3 or 4 rods in my Lufkin set. I would say that Mikey might be right, but I like my depth mic.

Thank you all for your help,Mikey I'm not looking to buy one(for the same reason you mentioned) I actually passed on a deal similar to that Lufkin for $20 , was just curious how much that Lufkin in my first post will eventually sell on ebay,just trying to get get a sense of tool prices on ebay.
Believe it or not Kijiji sometimes has some great deals on machinist tools compared to ebay

Last edited:
Back