Chuck adapter plate for my smithy 1220

mac1911

Registered
Registered
6F7E9511-81B0-49F2-BC36-C1656848AF11.jpegI am new to machine work. Took the plunge by the way of grabbing a smithy at a very low price.

I have also acquired some tooling, measuring devices and many other odds and ends. One of which is. Bison 5” 4 jaw ind. chuck.
So after a few small projects im going to dive in and attempt to make a plate to adapt this unit.
Its a tad small for the smithy. So I need to make a plate that bolts to the smithy spindle ( 3 hole) and then the bison mounts with 4 bolts from the front.
Posting pictures on this forum is painful so there wont be to many all to soon

My attempts to sell locally and just buy the correct 4 jaw from smithy have failed.
A4539B18-BCB0-4EF6-8E12-B2CCBEB7D8EE.jpeg

Bison is a good chuck. It is a better chuck than anything you will buy from Smithy. What is the spindle on a Smithy lathe? Most of the common spindle sizes you can buy a semi finished backing plate and turn it to fit the chuck.

Last edited:
Bison is a good chuck. It is a better chuck than anything you will buy from Smithy. What is the spindle on a Smithy lathe? Most of the common spindle sizes you can buy a semi finished backing plate and turn it to fit the chuck.
Its a fixed spindle , 3 hole bolt on
I have had zero luck finding anything that fits other than from smithy.

Attachments

• 727C38DC-4F0B-48C7-877C-8262F5BF1376.jpeg
    727C38DC-4F0B-48C7-877C-8262F5BF1376.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I haven’t seen anything like that before. Looks like turn a round plate to fit the spindle flange and then turn the plate in place to fit the chuck. I would mark the spindle and the chuck some how so you can always mount the chuck in the same place each time.

I haven’t seen anything like that before. Looks like turn a round plate to fit the spindle flange and then turn the plate in place to fit the chuck. I would mark the spindle and the chuck some how so you can always mount the chuck in the same place each time.
Will do. One of the first things I did was idex the 3 jaw. There is position that has less run out marked it with a punch.
At some point I am going to make a prototype out if aluminum because I have a piece.
Im still looking for piece of steel stock with out spending a small fortune. I will get there.

Also have one of these but anyrhing that fits is more money I dont have.
IDK whats going on, wont post pictures….

An aluminum adapter would probably work just fine if it's 3/8" or more- and would be much easier to machine as well

An aluminum adapter would probably work just fine if it's 3/8" or more- and would be much easier to machine as well
Its what I have on hand , finding any decent “scrap” is getting hard around here.
Only real local steel supply is only open week days till 4 and not exactly walk in service.

Back