Chuck adapter plate for my smithy 1220

Inching my way along.
Just need to drill and tap 4 holes.
Then on the hunt for a 5” round piece of steel to make one up
Been poking around for a 5” round piece of cast.
I have a old flywheel from a tred mill im going to attempt to cut later.1E46080E-FDF1-4415-8AB6-9B23F5D5338F.jpeg Ok

Well finally after several short trips its done.
0ED9E5C0-E74A-41D7-8325-7FDB454A3C1C.jpeg
Now next project: see how well this lathe and my inexpensive parting tool will handle this chunk of cast.
Its a hollow cavity and really only about 5/8” to get through. The belt shaft is thicker
39E093AA-BA83-4C15-A032-40D3595A2674.jpeg

FWIW with my inexpensive
.001” dial indicator the lathe spindle was right at .001”
Run out at the 4 jaw is a heavy .0015+ . Its just not making it to .002” by a smidge.

That runout should not bother you much. Especially with the four jaw, which you should be able to dial the work in closer when necessary.

Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That runout should not bother you much. Especially with the four jaw, which you should be able to dial the work in closer when necessary.

Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was happy it was not much more!

The 4 jaw Chuck worked really well. Took me about 20 minutes to dial it in the first time and to get a feel for how much it changes when you start to tighten it loosen it. I made two more pins for my chopsaw to go on the fence that can be used for length stops Holden pieces down those are pretty straightforward just a 5/8 on one side and 1/2 on the other and then the clamp slides over it. I also had a chance to try out the new tips made for aluminum and it was like night and day, even though they were cheap bits , how they cut and finished the aluminum right out of the gate was pleasing.

The cast fly wheel on the other hand was slightly more challenging. The parting tool didn’t want anything to do with cutting it. I’ll have to try putting a better edge on it and maybe play with where it sits maybe was too high. Maybe it was too low but it’s worked for just about everything else, I ended up using a old welded carbide tool to grind the pulley section away into face it off bit. It actually came out pretty nice. It’s smoother than it looks in the picture, but it’s definitely not a shiny finish and it seems to be a little porous. It’ll be a project for another day. My next project is to make a few parts to fix a scope stand I have and a threaded adapter in a odd shape part….where the 4 jaw will be needed.
Then its time to start practicing my tool grinding. To attempt making new cross feed nut and “half nut and plate” .278B25F7-ADC5-4554-8B5E-7FE25AD26534.jpegC4E6084B-01FE-4340-A5B5-992B7CD3C680.jpeg6DE6DD1D-ED8B-4B19-8137-09CF1B656B51.jpeg

Back